No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still hope that Fairphone will be fully compatible to either Ubuntu OS or even better Firefox OS. Then it will be almost clear, that this will be my first smartphone.

If there will be ever a fundraising campaign to bring full Ubuntu OS support to Fairphone, I will surely support it. As idea for a new fundraising campaign...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      and thats why i said mostly, from what he said it was 1st PR and, 2ed to make a Phone so Mark did not care at all if the Phone got made or not, but now they're getting there app's made for it
      Weird, that doesn't correctly describe any of his interviews that are on youtube that i have seen, as of recent. For example, this interview; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNFBHwcrFM

I don't think saying that it's "mostly an Ad campaign", best describes what he has intended with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        Weird, that doesn't correctly describe any of his interviews that are on youtube that i have seen, as of recent. For example, this interview; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNFBHwcrFM

I don't think saying that it's "mostly an Ad campaign", best describes what he has intended with the project.
        well i don't know what to really make of it

"Shuttleworth won't lose any sleep over it. He told CNet that "Tripling the crowdfunding record is always a super-ambitious goal." But, "It's also clear that this work is ancillary to the broader mission of bringing Ubuntu to the market."

It looks less and less likely that Canonical will raise the $32-million it needs for the Ubuntu Edge. So what! It won't matter in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          That would look bad not only for Ubuntu Edge, but also for Canonical.

Bad for Ubuntu Edge, because the whole point of this little campaign is to show that people are actually interested in owning such a device. Mark paying 2/3 just verifies a lack of interest from a wider audience. - It would be akin to a youtuber buying views for his channel, rather than earning them based on the quality of their content/channel.

Likewise, Mark/Canonical not funding it directly, in the first place - it shows they don't really believe in the product to begin with. ie: if the Ubuntu Edge is going to be so amazing (and potentially successful), then they should have had a enough confidence to put up their own money at risk. (Like any other company / entrepreneur typically does). - But we know why they didn't do that; Canonical isn't a profitable company and many of their projects tend to be vaporware / headed for the trash. They would rather gamble their users money, since if the end product sux, it won't matter - they are out nothing.

anyway, we will see, but it looks (to me) pretty unlikely this Ubuntu Edge campaign is going to work out...
          I'm not saying it would be a good idea I'm just saying I'd like to see it. Pledging money you *don't* have just to show support is really stupid so I'd like to see the people who did that shit themselves when they're on the line for a few hundred or thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            And by then no one will want it because everyone will be too preoccupied by playing with their awesome new Sailfish phones...
            True. I don't expect to ever see Ubuntu TVs catch on either. In it's quest for uniqueness over usuabilty, branding, and monetization, Canonical has undone itself.

Comment

1. This is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks, developers, fans and open source software advocates. The price is too prohibitive for it to be marketed towards the average end user.

2. Ubuntu currently has about a third (30-40%) of the market share of desktop Linux home users.

3. If Canonical hadn't alienated the rest of the Linux community with their earlier bad decisions, this phone could have been popular within the entire desktop Linux community. Remember, that this is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks etc. and therefore its demographic is very well aware of the politics and drama around the Linux community. Instead of gaining the support of the wider Linux-geek audience, Canonical has, by their earlier actions, limited their audience only to the Ubuntu fans, ie. those who stick to Ubuntu's side in the great division caused by Canonical's actions.

4. With a simple math equation, we can see that Canonical now only got 40% (giving a generous estimate) of the support they could have got for this phone, were it not for their earlier bad decisions. This means, that as they now got 11 million, they would have gotten 27.5 million instead. That still isn't quite enough to meet the 32M goal, but it would be much closer, and it would probably mean that more businesses would become interested and foot the rest of the bill.

5. Therefore, we can conclude: Mir + dash adware killed the Ubuntu Edge. Canonical only has themselves to blame.
              I'm not sure about the percentages estimated here, but...

THIS.

The issues with Canonical however started much earlier than the latest Mir and adware adventures and while many (even most?) happy-go-lucky users don't worry about Canonical's stunts, significant portion of the more serious types ? those most likely to have backed an ambitious (early-period) Ubuntu project like this ? have over time become disillusioned about Ubuntu being about the community anymore.

That hasn't stopped me recommending the Ubuntu-based Mint for new users; I just lost all fondness for the Canonical organization. I also find that regrettable since the idea behind this Ubuntu Edge phone seemed actually rather sound.

Comment

1. This is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks, developers, fans and open source software advocates. The price is too prohibitive for it to be marketed towards the average end user.

2. Ubuntu currently has about a third (30-40%) of the market share of desktop Linux home users.

3. If Canonical hadn't alienated the rest of the Linux community with their earlier bad decisions, this phone could have been popular within the entire desktop Linux community. Remember, that this is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks etc. and therefore its demographic is very well aware of the politics and drama around the Linux community. Instead of gaining the support of the wider Linux-geek audience, Canonical has, by their earlier actions, limited their audience only to the Ubuntu fans, ie. those who stick to Ubuntu's side in the great division caused by Canonical's actions.

4. With a simple math equation, we can see that Canonical now only got 40% (giving a generous estimate) of the support they could have got for this phone, were it not for their earlier bad decisions. This means, that as they now got 11 million, they would have gotten 27.5 million instead. That still isn't quite enough to meet the 32M goal, but it would be much closer, and it would probably mean that more businesses would become interested and foot the rest of the bill.

5. Therefore, we can conclude: Mir + dash adware killed the Ubuntu Edge. Canonical only has themselves to blame.
                Yeah, all because of Mir, nothing to do with the fact that high quality Android phones are available right now at half the price and selling like hot cakes. iOS is down to 13% now, because Apple developed their own display server. Oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Yeah, all because of Mir, nothing to do with the fact that high quality Android phones are available right now at half the price and selling like hot cakes. iOS is down to 13% now, because Apple developed their own display server. Oh, wait...
                  Try reading the post again.
                  If it were competitive to android phones (in quality, marketing, market awareness, manufacturer capabilities and app support), it would have made much more than 30M.
                  It wasn't, has never been, has never even been intended to.

Hence, the target has always been "enthusiasts, geeks, developers, fans and open source software advocates" (or, differently said, people that know the name "Ubuntu"). So Android performance is irrelevant, because it was never supposed to get support from people decided to buy an Android (or an iPhone).

And in the population that knows what Ubuntu is, yes, a significant portion is sensitive to Canonical's reputation, and its behavior towards the community and its current users.

Comment

Speaking of which we can only assume that UE (if it's ever released) will have "lens" as well. So everyone who tries to help finance UE development now will then be forced to either opt out of that crap (if it'll be at all possible without rooting or otherwise voiding your warranty) or just live with it. Great prospects, aren't they?
                    Last edited by prodigy_; 20 August 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I think it would help if you included a link to the Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding page, not a link to a different Phoronix article.

Comment

Working...
                      X