X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Most monitors released in the last 5 years or more use HDMI as a standard, same goes for peripherals since USB has largely replaced PS/2.
    I know what you're trying to say, but it simply isn't an issue these days.
    And as for charging, that could easily be achieved with having a USB charging cable. These simply aren't problems that 70+% of the potential market will experience.
    My monitor doesn't support HDMI without using a converter, and the vast majority of current monitors require a special cable to connect via HDMI, a cable that would most likely be stashed somewhere in the basement of your friend's house.

Oh goodie, a yet another cable you need to plug. Meanwhile I could have ended a second match of the game on my laptop.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Imagine all smartphones being convergencephones.

All Android phones can be docked and boot Android or Chrome OS.
    All iPhones can be docked and boot OS X.
    All Windows Phones can be docked and boot Windows 8.

Imagine all phones would have USB and be connectable to the same dock.
    An iPhone that supports a universal dock? Hah, sure. They'd all use their own, proprietary docks, because there is no standard. In fact, every manufacturer would use a custom design, if not every device, which is currently the norm for docks.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    At work would be great, you can have a dock at home, and a dock at work.

If you are at a friends' house, just unplug his keyboard and mouse from his computer and then plug it in to your dock.
    Your work would need to have thought about you having a convergence phone, and for the case of your friend's home, it's still a simpler solution (as in convenience, even) to just sync. Also, you just implied you should carry your dock with you? Isn't the point avoid carrying big things?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Imagine

Imagine all smartphones being convergencephones.

All Android phones can be docked and boot Android or Chrome OS.
    All iPhones can be docked and boot OS X.
    All Windows Phones can be docked and boot Windows 8.

Imagine all phones would have USB and be connectable to the same dock.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    That still ignores the problem that there would need to be spare monitors/keyboards/mice around just waiting to mate with your phone. Where are they? Will people start acquiring them just for the off chance some of their friends get convergencephones?

I think it more likely that if there are monitors/keyboards/mice, 99% of the time they are already connected to a CPU, so it'd be much better to just develop the interface and sync capabilities between phone and desktop OS's. There just isn't any great benefit in convergence. What's the "killer app", what is that one great reason why people would want to do this? I just don't see it.
    At work would be great, you can have a dock at home, and a dock at work.

If you are at a friends' house, just unplug his keyboard and mouse from his computer and then plug it in to your dock.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Most monitors released in the last 5 years or more use HDMI as a standard, same goes for peripherals since USB has largely replaced PS/2.
    And as for charging, that could easily be achieved with having a USB charging cable. These simply aren't problems that 70+% of the potential market will experience.
    That still ignores the problem that there would need to be spare monitors/keyboards/mice around just waiting to mate with your phone. Where are they? Will people start acquiring them just for the off chance some of their friends get convergencephones?

I think it more likely that if there are monitors/keyboards/mice, 99% of the time they are already connected to a CPU, so it'd be much better to just develop the interface and sync capabilities between phone and desktop OS's. There just isn't any great benefit in convergence. What's the "killer app", what is that one great reason why people would want to do this? I just don't see it.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    And that's not even talking about the phone's battery life and performance when "docked".
    It can be on power and charge when docked.
    So whenever you undock, it will have full battery charge!

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    As mentioned by dee., you won't have spare peripherals anyway, and even if you do, you can't be sure they will be compatible (some monitors are VGA-only, some are DVI-only; while most keyboards/mice are USB, the spare ones may very well be PS/2).

And that's not even talking about the phone's battery life and performance when "docked".

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    A proprietary dock isn't the only solution.
    A breakout cable with HDMI, USB and possibly 3.5mm audio output would be sufficient for a more portable solution.
    As mentioned by dee., you won't have spare peripherals anyway, and even if you do, you can't be sure they will be compatible (some monitors are VGA-only, some are DVI-only; while most keyboards/mice are USB, the spare ones may very well be PS/2).

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Thus you either can no longer borrow the peripherals from others, making your phone usable as a desktop only in your home (so you're still better off with an all-in-one), or have to lug a dock around (which is just the same thing as lugging a laptop).
    A proprietary dock isn't the only solution.
    A breakout cable with HDMI, USB and possibly 3.5mm audio output would be sufficient for a more portable solution.

Then there's the option of a company developing a portable lapdock or dumbtop for this and other similar devices. Past examples of these devices include the Motorola Lapdock and the Celio Redfly.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    To get rid of your laptop and your desktop.
    Only have a phone.
    Take it wherever you go, and dock it to a keyboard, mouse and screen and it should be powerful enough to do real work.

I look forward to 8-core 64-bit phones with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.
    I've been telling people for years... this needs to be filed in the "cool but impractical" folder.

There's simply no practical benefit you could get from this type of convergence. Any possible benefit you could get from using your phone as a desktop computer, you could also gain from simply having both a phone + desktop computer with a well-designed interface and sync between them, but the same is not true the other way around - the phone-as-desktop convergence is the inferior solution, because it places all of your data in a single point of failure that is much easier to lose, break or have stolen than desktop or even laptop computers.

You're also talking as if there are places with keyboards, mouses and screens just waiting to mate with your convergence-phone. Where are these places? Usually, where there are keyboards, mouses and screens, those are already attached to desktop CPU's, because why would people just have keyboards, mouses and screens hanging around... just to be hospitable on the off chance that someone wants to stick their phone in them? I don't think so. And if you have to carry around your own screen, keyboard and mouse, well then it kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

Now, since I don't want to bash down ideas without proposing something better...

A good solution would be to have a desktop/laptop computer that has a dock for a phone, but also works as a stand-alone computer. Better yet, do away with the dock and just have configurable, automatic connection between the phone + computer whenever the phone comes in wifi/bluetooth range (Of course there needs to be security measures implemented, so that someone can't just impersonate your phone or computer, but that's trivial to implement with key pairs). As soon as you walk to your home, the phone in your pocket connects automatically with your computer, syncs the storage, browser data, other app data (calendar, notes, etc.), all configurable of course. Then, both the phone and desktop computer can even have different OS's, both linux based, but they'd have tools for interoperability - the computer could have some nice, basic Linux distro, the phone could have Sailfish, Mer/Nemo, Tizen or similar... you'd have the option to remote to your computer from your phone and use the desktop from there, or you could remote to your phone from your computer...

All of this is better than having all your data, all your computing capability in one point of failure that you carry around with you... home computers (ones that never or almost never leave your home) are still very much useful, for practical reasons as well as security.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X