Ubuntu Edge Is Up To $9 Million USD In Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Most monitors released in the last 5 years or more use HDMI as a standard, same goes for peripherals since USB has largely replaced PS/2.
    I know what you're trying to say, but it simply isn't an issue these days.
    And as for charging, that could easily be achieved with having a USB charging cable. These simply aren't problems that 70+% of the potential market will experience.
    That still ignores the problem that there would need to be spare monitors/keyboards/mice around just waiting to mate with your phone. Where are they? Will people start acquiring them just for the off chance some of their friends get convergencephones?

I think it more likely that if there are monitors/keyboards/mice, 99% of the time they are already connected to a CPU, so it'd be much better to just develop the interface and sync capabilities between phone and desktop OS's. There just isn't any great benefit in convergence. What's the "killer app", what is that one great reason why people would want to do this? I just don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      That still ignores the problem that there would need to be spare monitors/keyboards/mice around just waiting to mate with your phone. Where are they? Will people start acquiring them just for the off chance some of their friends get convergencephones?

I think it more likely that if there are monitors/keyboards/mice, 99% of the time they are already connected to a CPU, so it'd be much better to just develop the interface and sync capabilities between phone and desktop OS's. There just isn't any great benefit in convergence. What's the "killer app", what is that one great reason why people would want to do this? I just don't see it.
      At work would be great, you can have a dock at home, and a dock at work.

If you are at a friends' house, just unplug his keyboard and mouse from his computer and then plug it in to your dock.

Comment

Imagine

Imagine all smartphones being convergencephones.

All Android phones can be docked and boot Android or Chrome OS.
        All iPhones can be docked and boot OS X.
        All Windows Phones can be docked and boot Windows 8.

Imagine all phones would have USB and be connectable to the same dock.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          At work would be great, you can have a dock at home, and a dock at work.

If you are at a friends' house, just unplug his keyboard and mouse from his computer and then plug it in to your dock.
          Your work would need to have thought about you having a convergence phone, and for the case of your friend's home, it's still a simpler solution (as in convenience, even) to just sync. Also, you just implied you should carry your dock with you? Isn't the point avoid carrying big things?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            Most monitors released in the last 5 years or more use HDMI as a standard, same goes for peripherals since USB has largely replaced PS/2.
            I know what you're trying to say, but it simply isn't an issue these days.
            And as for charging, that could easily be achieved with having a USB charging cable. These simply aren't problems that 70+% of the potential market will experience.
            My monitor doesn't support HDMI without using a converter, and the vast majority of current monitors require a special cable to connect via HDMI, a cable that would most likely be stashed somewhere in the basement of your friend's house.

Oh goodie, a yet another cable you need to plug. Meanwhile I could have ended a second match of the game on my laptop.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Imagine all smartphones being convergencephones.

All Android phones can be docked and boot Android or Chrome OS.
            All iPhones can be docked and boot OS X.
            All Windows Phones can be docked and boot Windows 8.

Imagine all phones would have USB and be connectable to the same dock.
            An iPhone that supports a universal dock? Hah, sure. They'd all use their own, proprietary docks, because there is no standard. In fact, every manufacturer would use a custom design, if not every device, which is currently the norm for docks.

Comment

Working...
            X