Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish SDK Update Switches From X11 To Wayland

Phoronix: Sailfish SDK Update Switches From X11 To Wayland

The Jolla Mobile developers that are in the midst of their first smart phone just updated their SDK to support Qt 5, Qt Quick 2, and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if anyone will ever port Hildon and Matchbox to the Mer/Wayland stack?

Comment

I am psyched for the Jolla phone. Sailfish looks so awesome!

Comment

I am overjoyed to read about this, for a multitude of reasons. Of course, we knew they were aiming for Wayland, but knowing it will ship with the Jolla phone is going to give plenty for the naysayers to chew on.

Not to mention Jolla is much more concerned with contributing back to the community in a standard, universally friendly way. They're a good example of how a contributor should behave.

From my perspective, this is the mobile platform I'm most excited for. Android is only barely related to the Linux I know and love, and while Ubuntu touch is much closer, they're going off in a direction where no one else can follow.

However, Jolla has come up with an impressive vision of a modern user interface, with interesting concepts surrounding the launch hardware, and they're validating Mer and keeping the tradition MeeGo started alive. They're keeping it in the ecosystem, not wasting time redoing things, getting up to date and exploring the future of Linux.

Despite the issue of some of their components not being open source as of yet, Jolla has been much more accommodating with the community than any other mobile project I can think of. I hope they will succeed and continue to work together with the rest of us, as we share quite a bit of history.

Comment

Hear, hear!

Jolla (in particular the software side) rather than the corporatized Tizen is the "closest" thing we have to an open stack able to handle all the essentials and more for 90+% people. It really should be an available option in the face of all the top-down surveillance we're currently subjected to.

What saddens me on the hardware side is that the Jolla group ended up in bed with Chinese partners, rather than folks from countries where freedom and openness are still somewhat respected. Well, they had options but chose to do it that way.

Perhaps one day it will be possible to purchase a generic "blank" handset, load Jolla / Sailfish OS and either enjoy a basic user experince or buy a subscription to updates from the Finnish company...

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          However, Jolla has come up with an impressive vision of a modern user interface, with interesting concepts surrounding the launch hardware, and they're validating Mer and keeping the tradition MeeGo started alive.
          MeeGo (who ever coined it...) did switch to Qt as the toolkit of choice, but what got the ball rolling was good old Maemo followed by Mer...

Comment

A Question

Can I do remote displays under Wayland and ssh like I do under X and ssh?

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
              MeeGo (who ever coined it...) did switch to Qt as the toolkit of choice, but what got the ball rolling was good old Maemo followed by Mer...
              Maemo had the best interface though. From the little I have seen, even MeeGo is much more iOS/Android like in WM/task switching terms, and even general looks. Hildon and Matchbox was a real desktop with just the mods needed to be good on a small touch screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post
                Can I do remote displays under Wayland and ssh like I do under X and ssh?
                not yet, even so threis experimental support for RDP and realVNC is interested in a wayland port but is X through ssh there is no equivalent yet.

but don't worry most DE will work with wayland and X11, so stay in the XCB backend until wayland for network is defined[i think is better outside wayland personally and i think it should be provided for the toolkit which is the appropiated level]

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                  What saddens me on the hardware side is that the Jolla group ended up in bed with Chinese partners, rather than folks from countries where freedom and openness are still somewhat respected.
                  What saddens me is that the USA (for example) invades Iraq (several times), kills 100K+ Iraqis and is considered "democracy", tries (and succeeds) to organize coups around the world (including Iran, Ukraine, Georgia etc etc) spies on all people it has access to inside the USA and outside USA, kill anyone with drones around the world without trial, trumps its own Constitution, has 100+ military bases around the world and is still considered "democracy", while pour China who hasn't started a war with anyone for a long time is considered an "oppressive regime" because its people are so pour they (like many Mexicans in the USA) are willing to work a lot for limited amounts of money.
                  Last edited by mark45; 02 August 2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Indeed. To highlight another big baddy, NK isn't at war with anyone, they're not spying on us, and the last I heard from them, it was a video showing american brainwashing techniques.

Comment

Working...
                    X