Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Its SHIELD Portable Gaming Device

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Its SHIELD Portable Gaming Device

After a delay, NVIDIA released today its SHIELD portable gaming console that's powered by Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

looks good. I probably would have bought it if stream to PC worked under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
      looks good. I probably would have bought it if stream to PC worked under Linux.
      I would as well. Would still buy one and have a dedicated windows server for it if I didnt already own a steambox plugged into my tv.

Comment

And the shield may have to compete with something like this:

especially if you already have a decently powered smartphone

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
          And the shield may have to compete with something like this:

especially if you already have a decently powered smartphone
          Kind of, the shield offers more than that. First of all its very powerful, more than current phones although that will change. But the main advantage would be plugging in to the tv including 4k displays and the shield can stream steam games from a pc to the shield, which nothing else can do.

Comment

Too complicated. What I'd like to see is a minitablet (7", preferably with a 3:2 or 16:10 screen) with a d-pad, small analog nub & buttons on the sides, and it should run something that allows native binaries (and uses Wayland!) like Sailfish or Tizen, instead of android. It'd be like a combined tablet and portable game console, you could use it for all sorts of tablety things and web browsing but also play real games on it.

Someone, get cracking on that. Set up crowdfunding, I promise to contribute if the project looks legit.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Too complicated. What I'd like to see is a minitablet (7", preferably with a 3:2 or 16:10 screen) with a d-pad, small analog nub & buttons on the sides, and it should run something that allows native binaries (and uses Wayland!) like Sailfish or Tizen, instead of android. It'd be like a combined tablet and portable game console, you could use it for all sorts of tablety things and web browsing but also play real games on it.

Someone, get cracking on that. Set up crowdfunding, I promise to contribute if the project looks legit.
              Why is there this endless idea that one can't make native binaries for Android?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Why is there this endless idea that one can't make native binaries for Android?
                Meh, not really the point here. The advantage for Tizen or Sailfish is that you can run native GNU/Linux binaries - just the same as you could in, eg. the ARM-version of Debian. Also they support rpm packages instead of some Google-specific packaging format. And they use Wayland, meaning that porting these games to other Linux platforms would be much easier than porting from Android - or in some cases, you could probably even run the games as-is on any other ARM-based Linux system.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Meh, not really the point here. The advantage for Tizen or Sailfish is that you can run native GNU/Linux binaries - just the same as you could in, eg. the ARM-version of Debian. Also they support rpm packages instead of some Google-specific packaging format. And they use Wayland, meaning that porting these games to other Linux platforms would be much easier than porting from Android - or in some cases, you could probably even run the games as-is on any other ARM-based Linux system.
                  I guess I see your point, but how many games are available for ARM Linux? It seems like any mobile gaming device is going to have to necessarily target the Android ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    I guess I see your point, but how many games are available for ARM Linux? It seems like any mobile gaming device is going to have to necessarily target the Android ecosystem.
                    Not so, Tizen & Sailfish both include a compatibility layer that allows running Android apps. So a game system based on either of them could leverage the existing ecosystem of Android games, plus whatever games will be eventually developed for Sailfish/Tizen phones (and tablets) once they are released and gain some market share. Most of these games of course wouldn't support the gamepad controls, only the touchscreen, but that doesn't matter, because it'd still mean there'd already be some games available for the device - and it would be usable as a tablet as well - which would pretty much guarantee at least some interest. And if there's interest, I'm pretty sure some game companies would be willing to port some existing titles which they already have for Linux (especially indie studios) for the platform, and perhaps release some new titles as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X