Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Releases Ubuntu SDK Beta

Phoronix: Canonical Releases Ubuntu SDK Beta

The Ubuntu SDK that serves as a toolkit for Ubuntu's "converged platform" of mobile and desktop as one, has now reached beta form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$
    Haha both phones and desktop? Canonical is kicking serious ass. What do you say about that you Gentoo, Arch and other shitty distros users?
    It's HTML5/cloud shit, which is only good for stuff like youtube, weather etc, you can't use it for many desktop apps, that is, technically you might be able to create it but it's better to create and use a native app instead - same problem as with Java but from a different angle.
    Example: WebGL is like GLES2 but in fact it's much worse cause (1) you have to use JavaScript which (in my sample example) takes 10-50% of CPU while with GLES2 in C++ it would only consume 2%, and (2) WebGL can't do a swap, it just copies the data to the browser canvas which is even more expensive afaik than point 1. I did some WebGL with basic animation and CPU-wise it sucks balls compared to a ES2/C++ solution - so despite being able to create some cool apps they suck technically.
    Last edited by mark45; 25 July 2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      It's HTML5/cloud shit, which is only good for stuff like youtube, weather etc, you can't use it for many desktop apps, that is, technically you might be able to create it but it's better to create and use a native app instead - same problem as with Java but from a different angle.
      Example: WebGL is like GLES2 but in fact it's much worse cause (1) you have to use JavaScript which (in my sample example) takes 10-50% of CPU while with GLES2 in C++ it would only consume 2%, and (2) WebGL can't do a swap, it just copies the data to the browser canvas which is even more expensive afaik than point 1. I did some WebGL with basic animation and CPU-wise it sucks balls compared to a ES2/C++ solution - so despite being able to create some cool apps they suck technically.
      Why is WebGL and HTML5/cloud considered amazing by most people on this forum when associated with chrome, firefox, google, sailfish, gnome, ect. But slow and awful when associated with Ubuntu? If I had the time, I bet I could go through your history and find where you were 100% gun-hoe on WebGL and HTML5/cloud tech for some other tech provider. (This is your moment to do so and start trolling BO$$, we both know you want too)

Admit it, your just anti-ubuntu and your grasping for straws.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Why is WebGL and HTML5/cloud considered amazing by most people on this forum when associated with chrome, firefox, google, sailfish, gnome, ect. But slow and awful when associated with Ubuntu? If I had the time, I bet I could go through your history and find where you were 100% gun-hoe on WebGL and HTML5/cloud tech for some other tech provider. (This is your moment to do so and start trolling BO$$, we both know you want too)

amazing troll but any time new Tech come's out some times ppl jump the gun do to Buzzwords Like Next Generation, Edge, Cloud, system to unlock next-generation user experiences, high level design, true collaborative, stylish, smoother, Server Allocated Buffers, (for Andorid Only)

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          amazing troll but any time new Tech come's out some times ppl jump the gun do to Buzzwords Like Next Generation, Edge, Cloud, system to unlock next-generation user experiences, high level design, true collaborative, stylish, smoother, Server Allocated Buffers, (for Andorid Only)
          Your calling me a troll?

I'm just asking a simple question. I hate hypocrisy and I love to expose it.

Comment

well is actually kinda simple answer web technologies are designed for web, ok that is obvious but web developer never would expect good performance out of it, just easiness and portability on the other hand compiled languages are extremely well performers but harder to write.

Web technologies are very good for the web, in this we agree but as it happens with Android and Firefox OS those technologies are too high level and require a lot of horse power to bring easyness so is an compromise but with iOS and BB10 is harderish to write apps but you get better performance.

the point is it would be better if you provide two SDK one for your facebook/youtube/server assisted toys and one in C++ for when you need real apps that perform closer to the hardware instead of have to use hacks to reach native code

another thing is web browsers have enormous engines optimized to death for this technologies to stay competitive[read gecko/blink/webkit/V8/js.ASM] and even so the penalty is quite nasty and in phones with limited resources it gets heavier, sure this won't stop ubuntu to have XXXXXXX weather apps or facebook clients or twitter clients as it doesn't affect android but allowing native closer to hardware access with an advanced SDK will call attention to many parties interested in use mobile for more complex need than social and media consume apps, so at least they can guarantee a nice niche part of the pie.

Btw jolla support both methods high level SDK and C++ Qt native https://lists.sailfishos.org/piperma...il/000124.html read here

Comment

Why is WebGL and HTML5/cloud considered amazing by most people on this forum when associated with chrome, firefox, google, sailfish, gnome, ect.
              It is good for Chrome and Firefox because these are web-based things. But for local applications I haven't seen much support for it here.

Comment

If I had the time, I bet I could go through your history and find where you were 100% gun-hoe on WebGL and HTML5/cloud tech for some other tech provider.
                Either provide proof or shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  It is good for Chrome and Firefox because these are web-based things. But for local applications I haven't seen much support for it here.
                  they do- unity will be completely ported over to qt/qml... so for native apps you could use them.

Comment

So from my understanding the SDK supports a touch enabled C/C++/ XML/javascript/QML/ Qt framework . With web apps written in HTML/javascript using the cordova API (phone gap) that translates the javascript calls to native calls using QT widgets for the UI and no need for the browser. Firstly is that correct? If so what are the real world gains in performance doing it this way than through the browser?

Comment

Working...
                    X