Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    At 128 GB, what else would it be? It's too big to be the usual onboard flash, and obviously it's not going to be spinning disk...
    You are aware that technology has progressed and that you can now get 128Gb in an SD card the size of a US postage stamp for around $80 US correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      You are aware that technology has progressed and that you can now get 128Gb in an SD card the size of a US postage stamp for around $80 US correct?
      I wasn't, actually. The largest capacity cards I've seen (or can see on local sites) are 64GB, and they're both rare and insanely expensive... in the vicinity of US$350...

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
        Using native programming languages to Ubuntu/Linux (i.e. not Java) means that devs can build on their already existing apps for Ubuntu/Linux and not reinvent the wheel.
        Ubuntu Mobile is pushing HTML5 and QML for app development: neither of those are "native". QML is JavaScript based and has automatic garbage collection.

Android does support C/C++, which is typically what is meant by "native". Tons of Android apps use C/C++ like Chrome and Webkit and most games.

There are a few great Qt/C++ apps (I think Autodesk Maya), but that's not the strength of desktop Linux.
        Last edited by DanLamb; 08 August 2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
          Ubuntu Mobile is pushing HTML5 and QML for app development: neither of those are "native". QML is JavaScript based and has automatic garbage collection.

Android does support C/C++, which is typically what is meant by "native". Tons of Android apps use C/C++ like Chrome and Webkit and most games.

There are a few great Qt/C++ apps (I think Autodesk Maya), but that's not the strength of desktop Linux.
          i think they allow QT apps, wich are native apps (c++).

Comment

Working...
          X