Ubuntu Edge Crosses $3.1M In Its First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krofna View Post
    A useless DRM'd piece of ms shit. I regret getting lumia... Not only I cannot replace OS, I can't even access hard drive without "Zune" which doesn't let me do anything... Not even stuff like copying files... Crazy shit, I know?
    you never tried a nokia lumia , because this you say this piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
      you never tried a nokia lumia , because this you say this piece of shit.
      "they" who? You should try first something before you can judje it.

Its a fantastic mobile OS. Dont be prejudiced. I like it more than my Android phone. I just don't know how much it will respect my privacy.

Windows 8 may be an absolutely-unfinished-touch only-crap desktop, but on mobile its very very well finished and functional.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        I just don't know how much it will respect my privacy.
        You do know who makes Android, right?

Also, no such thing as privacy anymore in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
          slightly off topic here... but anyone noticed this?

Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance

There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated with progress reports.
          What we know

Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.
          The passwords are not stored in plain text, they are stored as salted hashes. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.
          Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.

Progress report

2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement
          2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place while investigation continues.
          2013-07-21: we believe the root cause of the breach has been identified. We are currently reinstalling the forums software from scratch. No data (posts, private messages etc.) will be lost as part of this process.
          2013-07-22: work on reinstalling the forums continues.
          Coincidence? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by krofna View Post
            A useless DRM'd piece of ms shit. I regret getting lumia... Not only I cannot replace OS, I can't even access hard drive without "Zune" which doesn't let me do anything... Not even stuff like copying files... Crazy shit, I know?
            Full of BS. I don't have a Lumia myself, but I know if your plug it into a PC, then you see it as a device. That you can browse. And copy, and paste things too. You can also use the sync software if you wish.

Secondly, bought music files can be easily copied out via file manager to a desktop, or sent by bluetooth to other people, emailed etc...

Comment

They've added some more levels of perks and it gave a huge boost to their numbers. They went from needing to average $668 per minute yesterday around this time to $650 per minute now. I'll check back in later to see how these added levels affect interest. If they can keep this trend going, they'll hit their goal.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                You do know who makes Android, right?

Also, no such thing as privacy anymore in this world.
                You should really stop making these baseless claims about privacy

As for security you should base your hardening on opponents you are facing:
                If you dont like to be tracked by google,and or tracking companies You should harden at least your browser and stop using Google,Facebook,Twitter and other known U.S government collaborators
                FF:extensions: Random User agent Ghostery HTTPS Everywhere No script + Peer Block or Peer Guardian and uninstall java and flash
                If you wish further harden yourself you should stop using OSX and Windows and explore combination of SOCKS5 proxies Tor and VPN cycling and do not use VPNs based in countries which are known to abuse civil rights USA,China,Iran and so on.
                Last edited by Ramiliez; 24 July 2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  What an absolute waste of money. Canonical is a for-profit corporation. They should fund it.
                  This is called gathering "Venture Capitol". But this way they aren't beholden to a bunch of lawyers and assholes that want to pump and dump them for a quick buck.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    Windows 8 may be an absolutely-unfinished-touch only-crap desktop, but on mobile its very very well finished and functional.
                    Nope, it's still a piece of crap on the mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
                      Full of BS. I don't have a Lumia myself, but I know if your plug it into a PC, then you see it as a device. That you can browse. And copy, and paste things too. You can also use the sync software if you wish.

Secondly, bought music files can be easily copied out via file manager to a desktop, or sent by bluetooth to other people, emailed etc...
                      If you plug it to PC running at least Windows Vista it's a painless affair: the MTP libraries in Windows will autodetect the handset and create an entry in My Computer which you can use for file operations. The sync software, as you said, is another alternative.

Linux is a bit of a headache; you'll need to fulfill 3 prerequisites to access the phone's storage, namely 1) an updated copy of libmtp (compile and install from source if you must, it's not too difficult), 2) FUSE, and 3) simple-mtpfs (recommended by Arch Linux as the 'better' tool to use for such purposes; again, compile and install simple-mtpfs from source if you need to).

If the distribution already has the latest versions of the above packages and you use KDE you may be able to mount the phone via the GUI if the appropriate KIO slaves are already present. Otherwise you need to use the command line and simple-mtpfs (which in turn uses FUSE) to mount the phone to an empty directory. Also, pictures transferred to Windows Phone 8 using this method will generally show up in the phone immediately, but audio and video files won't. To get the phone to display the newly transferred content, the SD card (if you use one) has to be unmounted and remounted. If it's not feasible to remove and re-insert the SD card or if the phone does not have an SD card and relies on internal flash memory, turning the phone off and on (to re-initialize the media scanner) usually does the job.

Tested and confirmed on two Windows Phone 8 handsets (Lumia 520 and HTC 8S) under Fedora 17, Mageia 2, WIndows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Those aside, my experience with Windows Phone 8 has been nothing short of great. Enough for me to justify selling off my old Android phones to a second hand dealer without a second thought (Not that i could have kept them anyway now that most phones today are moving to that tiny microSIM card; might as well recoup some money by selling them off to such dealers).
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 24 July 2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X