Ubuntu Edge Crosses $3.1M In Its First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    No, he means that the ones funding it must be actual investors, i.e., people getting a percentage of the profits it's supposed to generate. The way it is, you are buying vapor, and they might get your money in exchange of nothing if they don't get enough to fund development. IndieGoGo takes the payment in advance, and just asks for a bigger commission if the money is not as much as asked initially. And I kind of agree with him, since you run the risk of being an investor (if the project fails, who will give you your money back?) without the benefit of being so (none of the prizes say "you will have a x% of the profit we get from the phones"), except from a small discount. Heck, if this even goes to carriers, I'll probably buy one at half the price the backers paid or less, with the condition of keeping the same company for a year (at least, it works that way in my country), which I never changed in my life.

Even when I don't really like Mir (I have had no reasons to like it yet, and I can see drawbacks in having an extra display server), I hope this works, not for Canonical, not for the Linux desktop, but because of all the people who will lose money if this fails.

Is it supposed to use a dock? I agree dockable phones are great. I wonder why Motorola canceled Webtop.
    Either it flies or it doesnt. If it does, people got what they paid for, if it doesnt the campaign is not gonna recieve any funds...

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post

Is it supposed to use a dock? I agree dockable phones are great. I wonder why Motorola canceled Webtop.
      Yea its supposed to dock and then be a full sized pc: Full blown ubuntu desktop apps and all, or at least thats the theory.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        Either it flies or it doesnt. If it does, people got what they paid for, if it doesnt the campaign is not gonna recieve any funds...
        If it does work it could still be a shit phone. Also because the phone market moves so fast if they have a delay of 3 to 6 months they either have to scrap it or try to compete with old hardware.
        I would sooner buy a Firefox phone for 250 euro. I trust them and they have a good track record. Not something I could say about Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          Oh, you are right. I read it on the FAQ, that didn't specify that not getting to the goal had different consequences depending on it being flexible or fixed funding. The correct source, for everyone else that could get confused, is here.
          Sorry for misinforming, the whole taking the money is only on flexible funding, the same for the 9%.

Anyway, you do pay in advance, but there is a reimbursement if it doesn't flies and 0% commission, for fixed funding.

Comment

The majority of people who are going to back this would have done so by now. The opening window is going to see the most action. It's a good haul judged in isolation, but in relation to the target the performance is woeful. They've clearly lost the plot.

Comment

Unless some corporate investors are interested, Canonical won't make it.

The $600 offer has already sold out and not many will put forth $830 for a paper phone, that even if it's materialized, it would be quite expensive. Not very expensive for its specs and capabilities as a dockable portable computer, but expensive nonetheless for a smartphone. I would have put $600 if I'd arrived on time, though.

Anyway, how does the docking work?
              Last edited by newwen; 23 July 2013, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I have one wish about charging

Looks nice.

I have one wish though:

One thing that often fail on my phones is that the micro USB connector gets worn out. Could you perhaps make it so that the phone can also be charged via some other more durable connector? Like the earphone connector? Or an extra dedicted one just for charging?

Comment

I really like the edge, but the price bump after pre orders is just ridiculous. Who is going to pay 830$ for this phone?! 600 is reasonable but 830 i think will doom this project.

Comment

So you fund a profit seeking company and then you buy phones from them? That sounds like awesome plan. L O L

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                      So you fund a profit seeking company and then you buy phones from them? That sounds like awesome plan. L O L
                      No. You give them your money and they give you a phone. So you're funding the production of your own phone (and they probably make some profit too).

Comment

Working...
                      X