No announcement yet.

KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you even care about battery life in a situation where you plug in your device to a monitor that requires a power outlet anyway...

To me, it's always going to be a pointless idea to try to make a phone/tablet act as a desktop - what's the point? If you need the space for a monitor + keyboard, you can just as well have a small desktop unit driving them, and then you get to use your phone/tablet and desktop independently of each other - what benefit is there of combining both in the same device, with one CPU? Oh sure, you'll have all your files on the same mini-sized SSD... but you could just sync your mobile storage with your desktop HD... and that's the way it is with every possible benefit, any benefit you could get from using phone/tablet as desktop could be got even better with a separate desktop + phone/tablet that syncs up & communicates with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Wrong, with the Vivaldi specs all it's good for is "teh fazbok", try any cheapass tablet with the same specs. It's literally slower then the slowest Intel Atom system ever made. The difference between the RPi and this is that the RPi is dirt cheap and is designed for it to be used in all kinds of embedded applications, it's not a completed device meant to be used exclusively as is like the Vivaldi.

If they wanted to actually stand a chance at producing something that would have any impact at all on the way ARM hardware is made they needed to go high end with only hardware that either already has FOSS drivers or has documentation out so that one can be made. that way they can get the attention of the FOSS devs, the OSS only crowd, the mobile geeks that want to try something new and the people that want a device that isn't Android or iOS.

Every company lies about battery life, it's always taken with the laptop in it's lowest power state with the backlight, wifi and speakers off and is only displaying the desktop in a room so cold the fans never come on and the battery works more efficiently.

Don't use a slug like Chromium, having more SSD bandwidth then your SoC can use is actually a great thing since if you have to hit the swap the performance hit will be negligible, I don't see how the SoC would be working much harder to drive the screen, considering that there are already 1920x1080 res phones on he market, the phone isn't powering the external monitor, it's mirroring to an output, that output doesn't draw much of any power at all and you can have the monitor handle the scaling for you, try it with your laptop.
      well vivaldi hardware is more than enough and is open enough to have lots of fun using it with KDE SC apps and profiling the bejesus out of the code + playground hardware to do very fun things with mer codebase or pure GNU stack on ARM, stuff that in my nexus 7/10 are a massive pain in the ass to do.

1.) well the concept is not clone, is a second output since in theory monitor will get an classic unity desktop interfaces while the phone keeps the mobile one[few details on the how tho]
      2.) well if you bus allow 20mb/s[for example] and your disk can reach 500mb/s once you have reach 19mb/s the SoC will bottleneck for everything including swap[that you don't want in your ssd to start with but ram allocs]
      3.) using mouse and keyboard give more stress to the SoC than using fingers especially in work devices since is a lot faster to control many things at once, switch back and forth and open apps/tabs.
      4.) for this ubuntu thing to be a real work devices it need some way to retrofit power to the device since any office user will murder the battery in 1h, so they should include some sort of powered dock[not enough info on this either tho]
      5.) dunno about chromium but whatever android browser i used with 10+ tabs active kill my nexus 10 battery like in 1.5h[just to test it, i can't tolerate more than 2 tabs active at the same time]

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        well vivaldi hardware is more than enough and is open enough to have lots of fun using it with KDE SC apps and profiling the bejesus out of the code + playground hardware to do very fun things with mer codebase or pure GNU stack on ARM, stuff that in my nexus 7/10 are a massive pain in the ass to do.

1.) well the concept is not clone, is a second output since in theory monitor will get an classic unity desktop interfaces while the phone keeps the mobile one[few details on the how tho]
        2.) well if you bus allow 20mb/s[for example] and your disk can reach 500mb/s once you have reach 19mb/s the SoC will bottleneck for everything including swap[that you don't want in your ssd to start with but ram allocs]
        3.) using mouse and keyboard give more stress to the SoC than using fingers especially in work devices since is a lot faster to control many things at once, switch back and forth and open apps/tabs.
        4.) for this ubuntu thing to be a real work devices it need some way to retrofit power to the device since any office user will murder the battery in 1h, so they should include some sort of powered dock[not enough info on this either tho]
        5.) dunno about chromium but whatever android browser i used with 10+ tabs active kill my nexus 10 battery like in 1.5h[just to test it, i can't tolerate more than 2 tabs active at the same time]
        You realize that the Edge is a phone correct? And that top end ARM devices have GPUs as fast as those in the PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Why would you even care about battery life in a situation where you plug in your device to a monitor that requires a power outlet anyway...

To me, it's always going to be a pointless idea to try to make a phone/tablet act as a desktop - what's the point? If you need the space for a monitor + keyboard, you can just as well have a small desktop unit driving them, and then you get to use your phone/tablet and desktop independently of each other - what benefit is there of combining both in the same device, with one CPU? Oh sure, you'll have all your files on the same mini-sized SSD... but you could just sync your mobile storage with your desktop HD... and that's the way it is with every possible benefit, any benefit you could get from using phone/tablet as desktop could be got even better with a separate desktop + phone/tablet that syncs up & communicates with it.
          Um. What? Care to break that up into coherent thoughts?

Comment

All of the technical reasons they have stated for why they couldn't use Wayland have been shown to be 100% false. Do you know of any new technical reasons why they would need to use Mir that I haven't heard of? Shuttleworth is just making vague statements about there being some undefined things wrong with Wayland, when he's not simply plain lying and/or talking out his ass. The truth is, every supposed "advantage" of Mir (as presented by various Canonical employees) have been shown to be non-existent: Android driver support? Came from Wayland originally.
            So your position is Wayland was the proponents of libhybris from the very start. It doesn't make sense when libhybris originally could only do video and maybe touch.

I wasn't sure Monk had his library named libhybris that is why I had to edit my post and remove the sentence asking for proof they stole his project. After I look they happen to stay with the name, and that's history. They embellished the original basic structure and now libhybris is an active important project for all to use.

What it comes down to is political reasons. Maybe Canonical wants to separate Ubuntu from other Linux operating systems?
            If I can talk of my own opinion of Canonical, they're not trying to separate themselves from Linux as that would leave them out of accessing vast coming and existing resources. They have simply adopted projects that advance Linux in a way that makes it less confronting, faster and wide, example PulseAudio, Mir, proprietary video drivers. This is contrasted with many people crying old school, example painfully setting their system to do ALSA-OSS and bitching how bad PulseAudio is, all whilst we hear this is going to be "The Year of Linux" to take over Microsoft Windows.

Seems to me you really have some great reasons why you think KDE and others should support Mir. You must have some really good information about why Mir suits their needs better than Wayland. Why else would you write things like that? Tell us the reasons. Why should KDE use Mir instead of Wayland? Why is Mir a better match for them (or anyone)?
            Wayland has come to libhybris due to Mir. It may interface the library and drivers in a less efficient manner (i'd need to research this more) so this is why I give more credence to Mir over Wayland as it's designed from the ground up to work with the library. Why should I drop excitement for Mir, because Wayland testers are linking to libhybris and that Wayland was on the ice for so long and picked up momentum due to Mir!

I'm sick of people from the 'Cave' screaming Canonical stole his project, and the like. It's like me saying Facebook or jQuery stole my XMLHttpRequest routine. Code ends up looking the same when you are addressing the same task. It's as simple as that and if there are claims of piracy then it's usually because people see their code comments stolen verbatim.

Lets sit back and watch which projects shine. Lets see if Ubuntu goes 'wide' and compare that to how well PlasmaActive goes with Wayland. If I put a bet on I'm pretty sure I'd be coming home with money.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              So your position is Wayland was the proponents of libhybris from the very start. It doesn't make sense when libhybris originally could only do video and maybe touch.

I wasn't sure Monk had his library named libhybris that is why I had to edit my post and remove the sentence asking for proof they stole his project. After I look they happen to stay with the name, and that's history. They embellished the original basic structure and now libhybris is an active important project for all to use.

If I can talk of my own opinion of Canonical, they're not trying to separate themselves from Linux as that would leave them out of accessing vast coming and existing resources. They have simply adopted projects that advance Linux in a way that makes it less confronting, faster and wide, example PulseAudio, Mir, proprietary video drivers. This is contrasted with many people crying old school, example painfully setting their system to do ALSA-OSS and bitching how bad PulseAudio is, all whilst we hear this is going to be "The Year of Linux" to take over Microsoft Windows.

Wayland has come to libhybris due to Mir. It may interface the library and drivers in a less efficient manner (i'd need to research this more) so this is why I give more credence to Mir over Wayland as it's designed from the ground up to work with the library. Why should I drop excitement for Mir, because Wayland testers are linking to libhybris and that Wayland was on the ice for so long and picked up momentum due to Mir!

I'm sick of people from the 'Cave' screaming Canonical stole his project, and the like. It's like me saying Facebook or jQuery stole my XMLHttpRequest routine. Code ends up looking the same when you are addressing the same task. It's as simple as that and if there are claims of piracy then it's usually because people see their code comments stolen verbatim.

Lets sit back and watch which projects shine. Lets see if Ubuntu goes 'wide' and compare that to how well PlasmaActive goes with Wayland. If I put a bet on I'm pretty sure I'd be coming home with money.
              libhybris was made for Wayland..... for the sailfishos running wayland.... https://sailfishos.org/ and Wayland is shipping befor Mir....

Comment

I'm not a proponent of the Global-Warming Agenda as I think it's pure politics, but I've often wondered if Mark Shuttleworth could apply for an energy reduction grant from government for Ubuntu-Touch since it will reduce power consumption.
                Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I'm not a proponent of the Global-Warming Agenda as I think it's pure politics, but I've often wondered if Mark Shuttleworth could apply for a energy reduction grant from government for Ubuntu-Touch since it will reduce power consumption.
                  building and shipping them use a lot of power too may as well use a R PI for sub 50$

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    libhybris was made for Wayland..... for the sailfishos running wayland.... https://sailfishos.org/ and Wayland is shipping befor Mir....
                    That's a flipped argument. Wayland never chose libhybris, Sailfish team chose Wayland.

Sailfish is not directly related to Kubuntu/PlasmaActive choices even though indirectly Kubuntu/PlasmaActive may benefit from code being added/merged.

It think this is why there are arguments as people are not seeing the procession and using their hatred for Canonical to attack so as to further their own distributions or agenda.
                    Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

That's a flipped argument. Wayland never chose libhybris, Sailfish team chose Wayland.

Sailfish is not directly related to Kubuntu/PlasmaActive choices even though indirectly Kubuntu/PlasmaActive may benefit from code being added/merged.

It think this is why there are arguments as people are not seeing the procession and using their hatred for Canonical to attack so as to further their own distributions or agenda.
                      Nonsense. libhybris was developed for Mer (MeeGo fork), which is the base system used by Jolla for the SailfishOS, but is also the base system for embedded Plasma Active deployments and Nemo.

Comment

Working...
                      X