No announcement yet.

Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to step forward on this as say I was partly wrong to criticise. Mainly because I hadn't watched the Youtubes.

1. The 'EDGE' is limited edition and may have yearly releases
    2. The phone is targeting high end specific features for business and developers
    3. The 8MP camera aims at light and colour quality, not mega pixel war
    4. The memory is aimed at portability of desktop expected application
    5. It will run Android and Ubuntu-Touch application which may not be available on other builds

So...
    For those that hunt bargains for features, then you will still be able to experience Ubuntu-Touch when Canonical sells their medium range phone or get your own solution.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
      I don't profess to be an expert in this area. What I do know is that my S4 13 MP camera produces noticeably better pictures than a 10MP camera I've used before. In my mind, 13 > 10 > 8 but as long as the camera produces great quality photos, I'm good.
      With more mega pixels, doing face recognition and bar-code reading and the like, is far better.

I hope Mark can upgrade the specs of the Edge near production if the components are available.

Comment

Not sure what to think of this... $32,000,000... bloody hell. I can't see it reaching that. I think it may get to $8-10mil then slow right down to a near halt.

Happy to be proven wrong, but, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
          Please stop spreading this nonsense about camera megapixels
          http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...ones-unlocked/
          Exactly. I still have an old 2MP Nikon point and shoot camera that still provides higher quality of image than most modern camera smartphone due to its sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Not sure what to think of this... $32,000,000... bloody hell. I can't see it reaching that. I think it may get to $8-10mil then slow right down to a near halt. Happy to be proven wrong, but, eh.
            I'm startled at how many Edge $600 phones they have sold. Already at 3200 at the time of this post out of 5000.

I think Canonical should tweak the number of Ubuntu Edge Phones to 10000 since there is the inertia.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              I'm startled at how many Edge $600 phones they have sold. Already at 3200 at the time of this post out of 5000.

I think Canonical should tweak the number of Ubuntu Edge Phones to 10000 since there is the inertia.
              I wouldn't be startled. I am surprised every day at the people I discover that are avid followers of Ubuntu. Theres a couple lawyers I know and a guy I know that owns his own security (not IT related) business for starters. Heck, I might buy one or two if they respond the the questions I've sent for clarification on a few items.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
                32 million bucks in a month?

2.000.000$ in 8 hours!
                Last edited by verde; 22 July 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post

I registered just to comment and make a couple points that I think many people are missing/forgetting.

It's not actually that expensive. Here are 2 high end phones without contracts:
                  iPhone 5
                  Samsung Galaxy S4

so $570 and $650. Clearly $600 dollars for a phone whose specs are way better than those is a bargain and $830 is perfectly reasonable.

In addition, don't think of it as buying a phone but buying an ultrabook that fits in your palm and is also a phone. Heck this phone will have >= specs to my 5 year old laptop that was $1700 dollars when I got it.

To go along with the fact that this isn't a normal phone and shouldn't be treated as one, as others have finally pointed out, it's a limited edition, high end developer/geek device. Even if you don't like Ubuntu, people will be hacking and porting and running all kinds of things on this, every flavor of Linux, custom OS's whatever ... exactly the same way they do with their laptops and desktops.

Think about what the hacker community does with closed platforms like PSP/Vita where corporations actively lock down the hardware/software. This is more like a super high end Pandora (which is also $600 and way lower specs) meets OpenMoko.

Anyway those are my thoughts. I might get one at $600 dollars. By next May my Palm Centro will probably be on it's last legs. I've had it for 5 years, no data plan, and I've been waiting for something like this, a leap forward in hardware that runs vanilla linux (android is an awesome bonus though).

Comment

I'm really liking the convergence mode, it would be nice if someone made some sort of laptop shell which this thing could dock with.
                    I wonder though, since it will be able to dual boot Android, would this mean that Ubuntu for Android still might have a future, or would it encroach on the potential sales of this device?

Comment

Ok Im reading the indiegogo page now.
                      Sorry but mir is a wrong move.

@imminent failure

Comment

Working...
                      X