Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Needs a 4x 2.4 Ghz x86 CPU and a Thunderbolt port so I can plug my GTX 580 into it, if I need more power for gaming. ^^
    This

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      No way you can Put out the "fastest multi-core Phone CPU" for 900$ the fastest multi-core X86_64 are around 300$ to 400$ maybe Even more i only see it Being a ARM Chip you can get them for like 200$ to 300$ if that for the "fastest multi-core ARM CPU"
      it says the "fastest available multi-core processor"

BTW This is going to be a GSM Phone (no CDMA for you) if you live in the USA enjoy your AT&T or T-Mobile serve if you even get that... and on top of it you may not even get your hands on the Phone for 2 years in some countries

Phone have to be tested and Approved before being imported and Sold in most countries if they dont have one for Testing and can't be sold
      Personally I'll wait for a phone I know can run on my carrier, but I'll still happily send them $20 to help. If this effort proves successful, it will find it's way to all major carriers.

They may well use an ARM chip, but that's not what they're saying specifically. You can be negative and make assumptions all day, but until the specifics are nailed down you're just speculating.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Needs a 4x 2.4 Ghz x86 CPU and a Thunderbolt port so I can plug my GTX 580 into it, if I need more power for gaming. ^^
      I don't think they're targeting this or marketing it as a high-end gaming rig. If you need such a rig, the mobile space probably won't provide that for many years to come (if ever). But if you need a desktop replacement (hint: not a gaming desktop replacement), then this will probably suffice.

Comment

The delusion of the omgubuntu fanbois knows no bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
          Personally I'll wait for a phone I know can run on my carrier, but I'll still happily send them $20 to help. If this effort proves successful, it will find it's way to all major carriers.

They may well use an ARM chip, but that's not what they're saying specifically. You can be negative and make assumptions all day, but until the specifics are nailed down you're just speculating.

I don't think they're targeting this or marketing it as a high-end gaming rig. If you need such a rig, the mobile space probably won't provide that for many years to come (if ever). But if you need a desktop replacement (hint: not a gaming desktop replacement), then this will probably suffice.
          it did Say it was going to Run Andriod....

Comment

Originally posted by doctoren View Post
            I want to hear stretch goals!

Seriously, what are they thinking? Ouya raised around $9 millions in 30 days. I honestley can't see this coming close to that unless Shuttleworth pitches in heavily himself.
            Ouya was $100, this is $600. They're hoping to get three times the money but they need half as many people to buy it to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post

I was just kidding. No mobile CPU would not end up throttling a discrete desktop GPU like mine. I only buy a complete new desktop ever 7-8 years. By that time even the Intel Tick-Tock roadmap has come to an end.

Comment

I don't think its right for a for-profit company to crowd-fund the development of a phone.

Likewise I guess its true what they say - there's a sucker born every minute.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  it did Say it was going to Run Andriod....
                  ahem ... https://01.org/android-ia/

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
                    I don't think its right for a for-profit company to crowd-fund the development of a phone.

Likewise I guess its true what they say - there's a sucker born every minute.
                    When other stablished for-profit enterprises (no capital-less startups, but fully capitalized businesses) promise a nonexistant product, and then ask people to fund its research, it's called at best shoddy business practices, and at worst an outright SCAM. If Mark Shuttleworth love for no risk investment is as high as we see it, then it's better for him to dump Ubuntu and start investing in pension funds here in Chile.
                    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 22 July 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Massa View Post
                      Ouya was $100, this is $600. They're hoping to get three times the money but they need half as many people to buy it to succeed.
                      But cheaper means a better chance to get it bought. Anyway, it doesn't mean they won't get them to buy.

I'm really disappointed on this, for a $600 (or more) product, giving only 28 days warranty seems a bit short. Not that I was willing to buy anyway, I'm happy with my Nokia 1100, and have a notebook for my computing needs that actually costs less than this phone and have a one year warranty.

Comment

Working...
                      X