Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    why do you need more Ram then the Arm can handle? more Ram = More Power used too

Gamer's only used 2GB's of ram not all that long ago (now it's 4GB's min to 8GB's do to Windows being a Hug) as it was not needed do to Low CPU and GPU power and, On Linux Mint (have not tested it on Windows) i can Play Dota 2 on Max Settings run Firefox And Banshee and use Sub 2GB's of Ram this Phone is going to be a Developers Phone and run hot as hell

most likely mark will put some of his cash in to get it going
    The 2GB limit you reference is for 32 bit processors. What makes you think they wouldn't put 64 bit processors in it?

Depending on what you're doing, burning through 2GB of memory is super easy to do. You can get most tabbed browsers close to a gig after just a few hours of browsing if you like to have lots of tabs open. Besides -- trying to spec a device of the future based on sufficient specs of the past is silly. After all, 640kb of RAM is enough for anybody, right?

Comment

EU does not have a 2yr warranty, that is for goods that were shipped faulty. Any faults that develop during your usage only have a 1yr warranty.

regarding the $32m, that is 5000 units x $600 = $3m. The other $29m will require 34,940 units to be sold at $830.

$600 = ?390.50
      $830 = ?540.19
      Last edited by hajj_3; 22 July 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
        The 2GB limit you reference is for 32 bit processors. What makes you think they wouldn't put 64 bit processors in it?

Depending on what you're doing, burning through 2GB of memory is super easy to do. You can get most tabbed browsers close to a gig after just a few hours of browsing if you like to have lots of tabs open. Besides -- trying to spec a device of the future based on sufficient specs of the past is silly. After all, 640kb of RAM is enough for anybody, right?
        you can use over 3GB's of Ram on 32bit Some MB's let you use even more then that i was not talking about 32bit

Edit Swap? the only way i use my 16GB's of RAM on my CPU is doing Videos or 3D work
        Last edited by LinuxGamer; 22 July 2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

WTF? really?

It's a joke? Canonical should spend her money to develop the phone. It's called inversion. What kind of amateurs are they? I could spect this from mint developers, but cannonical? jaja. Well, i'm not anybody to tell someone how spend his money. But just don't be stupid and think. Bye.

Comment

you can use over 3GB's of Ram on 32bit Some MB's let you use even more then that i was not talking about 32bit

Edit Swap? the only way i use my 16GB's of RAM on my CPU is doing Videos or 3D work
            It's a desktop replacement. Some people WILL use more than 2GB at any one moment in time on it. If you're going to offer a full on desktop experience, then you can't so severely limit the specs that a chunk of potential users would never consider it for this function. I would add that many of those types of folks are the most likely to be early adopters, so this makes it all the more critical.

Comment

It's a desktop replacement. Some people WILL use more than 2GB at any one moment in time on it. If you're going to offer a full on desktop experience, then you can't so severely limit the specs that a chunk of potential users would never consider it for this function. I would add that many of those types of folks are the most likely to be early adopters, so this makes it all the more critical.
              full on desktop experience? like the Low End Netbook one? on top of thats it's going to be ARM

Comment

full on desktop experience? like the Low End Netbook one? on top of thats it's going to be ARM
                Does it say ARM?

I imagine it would be better to use intel mobile processors for this.

Comment

full on desktop experience? like the Low End Netbook one?
                  What were the specs of those compared to the proposed specs of this? Let's try to deal in facts.

on top of thats it's going to be ARM
                  *Citation needed

Comment

Needs a 4x 2.4 Ghz x86 CPU and a Thunderbolt port so I can plug my GTX 580 into it, if I need more power for gaming. ^^

Comment

What were the specs of those compared to the proposed specs of this? Let's try to deal in facts.

*Citation needed
                      No way you can Put out the "fastest multi-core Phone CPU" for 900$ the fastest multi-core X86_64 are around 300$ to 400$ maybe Even more i only see it Being a ARM Chip you can get them for like 200$ to 300$ if that for the "fastest multi-core ARM CPU"
                      it says the "fastest available multi-core processor"

BTW This is going to be a GSM Phone (no CDMA for you) if you live in the USA enjoy your AT&T or T-Mobile serve if you even get that... and on top of it you may not even get your hands on the Phone for 2 years in some countries

Phone have to be tested and Approved before being imported and Sold in most countries if they dont have one for Testing and can't be sold

Comment

Working...
                      X