No announcement yet.

Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Canonical launched a IndieGoGo campaign today" so they're saying "We have no Cash" hmm "28 day warranty" what thats just like getting F***ed in the *** and paying some one 900$ to do it and, a even bigger Slap in the Face "The page also states that if they fail to reach their $32 million goal in the next month, "we will focus only on commercially available handsets and there will not be an Ubuntu Edge.", so it says Give us 32mil for our Shitty Developer Phone or F*** Off?, most Phones have a Video Resolution of 1920x1080 and, a 13MP camera, no one has even seen this thing working no?, 4GB of RAM, that's a Joke how many Phones use over 2GB's of Ram? and 128GB of storage is it good storage or some Cheap Chinese knock off "hardware subject to change" this maybe illegal in the USA "fastest multi-core CPU"Apple can do this too so can Android Phones but you get a 2 hour battery on a 900$ no Deal, so the Phone is going to run on ARM? or some Chinese knock off?0

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      "Canonical launched a IndieGoGo campaign today" so they're saying "We have no Cash" hmm "28 day warranty" what thats just like getting F***ed in the *** and paying some one 900$ to do it and, a even bigger Slap in the Face "The page also states that if they fail to reach their $32 million goal in the next month, "we will focus only on commercially available handsets and there will not be an Ubuntu Edge.", so it says Give us 32mil for our Shitty Developer Phone or F*** Off?, most Phones have a Video Resolution of 1920x1080 and, a 13MP camera, no one has even seen this thing working no?, 4GB of RAM, that's a Joke how many Phones use over 2GB's of Ram? and 128GB of storage is it good storage or some Cheap Chinese knock off "hardware subject to change" this maybe illegal in the USA "fastest multi-core CPU"Apple can do this too so can Android Phones but you get a 2 hour battery on a 900$ no Deal, so the Phone is going to run on ARM? or some Chinese knock off?0

Only warranty mandated use of F word.
      (Fortunatly EU mandate 2y warranty, so at least in EU its not a problem)

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix
        Rather get myself a Windows 8 phone. :/
        WinP 8 do not further Linux progress.

So go to Win forum if you Like that OS.

Comment

28 days warranty? they havent heard of german law needing 2 years minimum for electronic devices, have they...?
          28 days... thats like charging 7 times when the battery is strong enoght to power the whole ... thing.
          one cool thing could be to boot any pc from it via usb. so as a live cd to chroot in or stuff. but resembling the win8 limitations for loaded modules from the uefi sh**, it probably wont be quite as cool...

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            WinP 8 do not further Linux progress.

So go to Win forum if you Like that OS.
            I've got every right to be here just as you do. I like Linux. I also like Windows, problem with that?

I'm more concerned about Linux progression on desktop rather than mobile

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Only warranty mandated use of F word.
              (Fortunatly EU mandate 2y warranty, so at least in EU its not a problem)
              some States say you need a 3 year

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                28 days warranty? they havent heard of german law needing 2 years minimum for electronic devices, have they...?
                That is not true. (But mixed up frequently)

2 years warranty is not mandatory by german law.
                It's 2 years of "Gewaehrleistung" - not sure how to translate that properly.
                This makes a lot of a difference!

Actually, you could even sell devices without warranty at all.
                Obviously, that wouldn't make your product look good.
                That's why it's "uncommon".
                Furthermore 2 years of warranty is more of traditional thing, people are used to.

Comment

My only disappointment with the specs so far is the 8MP rear camera. I'd like to see that quite a bit higher.

The 4GB of RAM makes sense if you are someone planning to use this as a desktop replacement.

The 28 day period seems to be strictly for returns. The don't say what warranty (if any) would apply if you decided to actually keep the phone. Hopefully they will be more clear on this point.

In order to raise the 32 million, they'll have to average a bit over $43,000 per hour. So far, they are smashing that number. Once initial excitement dies down, we'll see how that trends.

It seems to me this is as close to a company launching a product in a community minded way as possible -- letting the community fund it should they want it rather than sitting in a back room and have a bean counter tell management the risk is too high with insufficient market demand to warrant a launch.

Comment

lol, no

Frak you Canonical...

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                      My only disappointment with the specs so far is the 8MP rear camera. I'd like to see that quite a bit higher.

The 4GB of RAM makes sense if you are someone planning to use this as a desktop replacement.

The 28 day period seems to be strictly for returns. The don't say what warranty (if any) would apply if you decided to actually keep the phone. Hopefully they will be more clear on this point.

In order to raise the 32 million, they'll have to average a bit over $43,000 per hour. So far, they are smashing that number. Once initial excitement dies down, we'll see how that trends.

It seems to me this is as close to a company launching a product in a community minded way as possible -- letting the community fund it should they want it rather than sitting in a back room and have a bean counter tell management the risk is too high with insufficient market demand to warrant a launch.
                      why do you need more Ram then the Arm can handle? more Ram = More Power used too

Gamer's only used 2GB's of ram not all that long ago (now it's 4GB's min to 8GB's do to Windows being a Hug) as it was not needed do to Low CPU and GPU power and, On Linux Mint (have not tested it on Windows) i can Play Dota 2 on Max Settings run Firefox And Banshee and use Sub 2GB's of Ram this Phone is going to be a Developers Phone and run hot as hell

most likely mark will put some of his cash in to get it going

Comment

Working...
                      X