Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge: The First Ubuntu Smartphone Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    Jolla has actual manufactured devices (not only those Nokia N950s), and working prototypes on Sailfish/Wayland. Are you telling me that I ditch my Jolla preorder code to buy an Ubuntu Edge with Mir, when the only thing that exists of that phone is a RENDER, and when the only thing we have about Mir is division and flamefests?

Are you f*ing kidding me?
    No one is asking you or telling you to do anything sir. So no, no one is f*king kidding you.

P.S. You come off as a real tool and douche for posting that.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      Much thanks. I will see if I can install it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...003762424.html

Example US $245.88;

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...003762424.html

Then wait for new 4g/LTE chipset from MediaTek, the MT6290;

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../10/2003566722

You'd probably want more than 1gb of ram, but by the end of the year 2gb will be the default in most Chinese brand phones.

It should be noted that the Alibaba and Aliexpress stores are cheaper because the products are unreliable and there's a good chance your product will come with some problem.

Comment

Is it known yet how open this phone will be? Will I be able to install whatever I please, completely erasing the shipped Ubuntu?

While on the topic of must-have phone features, gotta post my list too
        * battery life: 1 week minimum of normal use, preferably 3-4 weeks
        * preferably no GPS nor NFC; if there, there must be a failsafe way to cut power to them, such as a physical switch
        * fully open software stack

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
          It should be noted that the Alibaba and Aliexpress stores are cheaper because the products are unreliable and there's a good chance your product will come with some problem.
          Bull. I've purchased off them many a time. The purchases are based on escrow so the Seller doesn't get the dosh unless the product is what it's claimed to be.

Also I don't expect Mark Shuttleworth to use AliExpress. It's just a reference to prove there are cheap phones. He could easily commission a Chinese manufacturer to customise a Ubuntu Phone for a cheap price. Example do the research on quality makers and work with the one chosen for a high spec 4G phone for about $150-$250 with Ubuntu selling them for $250-$299. Schedule for the MT6290.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Is it known yet how open this phone will be? Will I be able to install whatever I please, completely erasing the shipped Ubuntu?
            While on the topic of must-have phone features, gotta post my list too
            * battery life: 1 week minimum of normal use, preferably 3-4 weeks
            * preferably no GPS nor NFC; if there, there must be a failsafe way to cut power to them, such as a physical switch
            * fully open software stack
            You don't say 'NO' to GPS and NFC, as these feature are easily turned off if you want to save power.

Battery life of a week is pushing it. Most phones only last a day of use. Stand-by is another matter.

The open stack request is software, and being that Ubuntu Phone will use Android partitioning and bios boot then you could flash anything you want.

Comment

This will be a development phone not a retail. Mark shuttleworth has already said it will ship with the full version of Mir which will be ready early next year. I'd expect it to be a cheap low spec dual core 1ghz 1gb ram phone. Also i'm pretty sure they aren't making their own phone like iphone, they will be licencing ubuntu phone os to hardware companies to make many different phones just like firefox os.

Comment

C++ Yay!

The best thing of Ubuntu Touch is that you will be able to develop applications using C++ instead of shitty slow Java and C# or shitty Objective-C syntax. Also they have said that it will support HTML5 applications as first class citizens so mix that with Firefox OS and you will have 2 great open platforms, so develop once deploy on various devices.

In any case since Ubuntu Touch major components are going to be native I guess that even a dual core will feel smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Let me guess. You walk around town with a tin foil hat.

BTW The renderings look better (aesthetic wise) from what we've seen from jolla thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                    Must haves for currency...

* 4G network + Fast WIFI (direct protocol supported)
                    * 1080p screen
                    * Quad core CPU with fast GFX subs
                    * Large memory specs, and expandable with sdcard
                    * 12MP+ cam with physical zoom and flash, inc front camera suffice for conferencing
                    * NFC (near field communication) so one can use audio amps and other after market devices not based in usb or iphone socket
                    * GPS + compass, for location/mapping programs
                    * Fast USB with HDMI support, or a separate HDMI port
                    * Bluetooth
                    * Microphone and speakers

Aimed price $250-$350.
                    Except id buy a lower end version with longer battery life and dual sim, fuck the rest, although HDMI would be very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      Let me guess. You walk around town with a tin foil hat.
                      You do I hope realize that in 2006 a federal court ruled that the FBI was allowed to use evidence that they had gathered by using phones owned by members of the mafia as recording devices without those individual's knowledge. Furthermore keep in mind that in 2006 smartphones weren't even a thing yet and the big phone of the time was the Motorolla Razr. Also remember that in late 2011 Carrier IQ was uncovered and was shown to be logging keystrokes as well as tracking other personal information.

As well you do realize that the founding of the NSA in the 1950s was to handle both internal intelligence matters (Since the CIA legally cannot perform intelligence operations inside of the US, which isn't to say that they don't but it's illegal for them to do so) as well as being the SIGINT (Signal Intelligence) spying agency? I shouldn't have to spell it out for you but the point of the NSA is to spy on American citizens and their communications and they first gained that power by launching the ECHELON project in the 1960s.

The only real argument you can have against this is that nobody cares about him which while fair it's still in blatant violation of the 4th amendment to the US Constitution which protects against search and seizure, and furthermore it's a matter of the principle of it that they shouldn't be tracking and listening in on you.

Comment

Working...
                      X