Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Announces "Flipped" Ubuntu Touch Images

Phoronix: Canonical Announces "Flipped" Ubuntu Touch Images

The Ubuntu Touch image model has been flipped around so that Android is no longer on the bottom side and that Ubuntu is going for a different position...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the difference in terms of usablity/performance/features?

Comment

Yo, dawg. I herd you like loading system, so we have Ubuntu Touch where you can load a system while loading a system while loading a system!
      Or something like this...

Comment

What is the current use of the Android container?
        Will it always be here or is this just temporary while Ubuntu Touch is being developed?

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
          What is the current use of the Android container?
          Will it always be here or is this just temporary while Ubuntu Touch is being developed?
          I think they are still using Android for the display (SurfaceFlinger) until Mir is ready. No idea what the long term plan is, but I suppose they could keep the Android layer around if they want to run Android apps. Which would probably be a good idea, embrace and extend etc.

Comment

Interesting.

Can LXC be used to build something Samsung Knox?

Comment

if somebody dont understand why they do that, its because they want to use the proprietary drivers from android.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                if somebody dont understand why they do that, its because they want to use the proprietary drivers from android.
                Which makes sense given that proprietary X and EGL drivers for phones/tablets are almost non-existent compared to Android drivers. Open-source drivers aren't really up to the task yet either.

Maybe this will change as Mir, Wayland, Tizen, and Sailfish enter the market environment.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                  Which makes sense given that proprietary X and EGL drivers for phones/tablets are almost non-existent compared to Android drivers. Open-source drivers aren't really up to the task yet either.

Maybe this will change as Mir, Wayland, Tizen, and Sailfish enter the market environment.
                  I have a position about that, but I just want to give that information so other can come to their own judgment. I did not said anything about what I think about that...

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

A Jolla employee developed a library to load Android drivers with Wayland. Canonical uses the same library for Mir.

Comment

Working...
                    X