Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Vivaldi Tablet Upgraded, Closer To Release

Phoronix: KDE Vivaldi Tablet Upgraded, Closer To Release

The KDE Vivaldi Tablet, which has been a project led by Aaron Seigo for having a Linux-friendly tablet powered by Plasma Active and Mer Core, is finally getting closer to hopefully seeing the light of day...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes.

The moment this comes out I'm going to buy it because I feel that this is the only real Linux powered tablet/mobile OS.

BTW how will be the GPS problem solved (there is no supported device yet as far as I know)?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Not true. Intel already did alot of Gnome work for Tizen. It was already reported some days ago. And now Endless Mobile put together a very solid team of experienced people. They will take Linux mobile OS to tje next level.

And it is Gnome powered meaning corporate support.
      Tizen without E17... Thanks I'll pass.

Comment

Michael, it's the A20, which is a dual-A7.

Comment

The Vivaldi tablet isn't by KDE.
          Individuals from within KDE decided to found a company which is the Vivaldi vendor but that's it.

Comment

pengpod

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            The moment this comes out I'm going to buy it because I feel that this is the only real Linux powered tablet/mobile OS.
            neal from pengpod has one. same allwinner processor. look it up.

BTW how will be the GPS problem solved (there is no supported device yet as far as I know)?
            mmm yeah we weren't asked to put GPS in this iteration, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be added, if someone can come up with a 10k order (or is otherwise willing to pay the development NREs) it's easily done.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              Tizen without E17... Thanks I'll pass.
              Mobile phones still seem like a good idea to me.

I really hope the Vivaldi tablet gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by tbelvin View Post
                Mobile phones still seem like a good idea to me.
                In the general sense?! Sure mobiles are useful. I still don't think Tizen should be used without E17 on either Desktop, Laptop or Mobile.
                My issue is with the Intel's Tizen Ultrabook prototype that was mentioned. Tizen is all about the EFL and E17 so throwing Gnome in there is just wrong. Like, Mono (.Net) on linux wrong. Worse, I have E17 running and being used regularly on my desktop as well as my laptop so I really can't think of a reason Intel would prefer Gnome over it.

Originally posted by tbelvin View Post
                I really hope the Vivaldi tablet gets released.
                I hope so too. Despite my dislike of all things C++, I can live with Qt for the most part. So, maybe having KDE on a tablet won't suck too much.

Comment

Intel is throwing tons of development ressources towards COGL, clutter, and wayland. So it is quite natural to support Gnome.
                  Intel is hedging their bets on Tizen, Gnome and KDE in response to Microsoft's Windows RT. However since you brought Wayland into this, I do in fact support Wayland and would very much like the GTK to do the same.

You should be happy for Gnome,
                  I'm happy GTK will support Wayland since I have some GUI code I don't care to rewrite. I'm also happy GIMP is available since I do use it.
                  However, I'm not happy about Gnome3 sucking. I'm not happy about the network-manager tight integration which forces me to go through some hops to get WiFi on my laptop through connman, Intel's own connectivity daemon. I'm not happy about the new theme engine in GTK\Gnome with those CSS files that expose a tenth of the mod-ability for twice the complexity. I'm not happy about Gnome's virtual desktops. I'm not happy about Gnome's task switching mechanism (or lack of). I'm not happy about just about every singe thing Gnome3 brought about.

no one else is able to gain this kind of support.
                  Except for KDE and E17.

Join.
                  I still maintain GTK code. But I don't write new code using it. I get the same HORRIBLE C++ like code style in all the GUI kits. With the exception of Qt being written in C++. But, with EFL I don't have to suffer working around old crappy code that should have been deprecated but is kept for "backwards compatibility". And when I find a bug in the EFL, I can hunt down a dev on IRC or Phabricator and get a reply, and even an upstreamed fix, within a day or two. Most of all, unlike GTK, the EFL is actually well designed and wasn't tailored as a photo editing menu. Sure it has it's problems since it's still young and a little buggy, but the abstractions make sense and it's factored well enough for me to just use what I need.
                  So no, I don't care to join.

p.s. To be honest the vast majority of my work is at most stdout.
                  Last edited by c117152; 03 June 2013, 01:02 PM. Reason: typos, sentence structure, drama :D

Comment

First of all let's be clear about one thing. The Gnome camp are the only DE intending to use the Wayland protocol as it was designed. KDE is already way ahead of bending intentions of the protocol.
                    In what way? You mean server side window decorations?

AFAIK, KDE intends to only provide a session compositor, and run on top of Weston or another system compositor, so i don't think anything they do can be that bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X