Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dee.
    replied
    Tizen is certainly starting to look more interesting. But how open is it? According to Wikipedia, it's mostly under FOSS licenses, but there's "some" of it under some weird pseudo-open patent trap license... how feasible would it be to fork a fully open version of Tizen?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    I like the screen.

Oh wait, my mistake.
    It's absolutely unusable anywhere where there's a light source.

Tizen itself looks ok to me. Let's see whether it's going to become a serious desktop distribution.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.
    I quite enjoy using gnome-shell on my laptop I really like the interface myself. my only problem with the gnome project as of late is its just way too buggy. nearly every release since gnome 3.0 has very severe and/or annoying bugs that are so obvious that they never should have made it into a final release. I don't think they have enough quality control measures. Even KDE seems much less buggy these days. I'm currently using debian with gnome 3.4 which is the least buggy gnome desktop I've used in a while, I've had lots of issues with 3.6 and 3.8 (for example in 3.8 there's a known bug where opening nautilus randomly crashes gnome-shell and sometimes even totally crashes gnome forcing you to logout)

Leave a comment:

• Serge
    replied
    I am rather glad that this is so similar to GNOME 3. It is encouraging that a build of Tizen on a laptop is capable of running GNOME 3.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    I'm glad GNOME3 is finally finding its way onto places where it belongs instead of the desktop.
    A Clutter Based Shell designed around GNOME found its place where evey one uses HTML5 or Qt....

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by a user View Post
    i am glad gnome 3 replace the old unconfortable and unproductive taskbar and small startmenu pattern which i was wating for 15 years to come to desktop.
    Perhaps you have missed the 50+ alternative WMs that have other paradigms than taskbar+startmenu.

Leave a comment:

• a user
    replied
    i am glad gnome 3 replace the old unconfortable and unproductive taskbar and small startmenu pattern which i was wating for 15 years to come to desktop.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iniudan
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaz View Post
    Do people seriously say "Guh-nome 3"? 'Cause, like, gnome's been a word for a long time, and it's pronounced "gnome". At least he didn't shout "GNOME 3" I guess.

And while I'm complaining, what's this "Intel Ultrabook" business? All Ultrabooks are Intel. It's a trademark Intel owns. And for that very reason it is totally ridiculous to talk about an "Ultrabook" as a type of computer, as Intel wants. They're just notebooks, which are the same as laptops. We're about to see a bunch of morons rejecting AMD-based notebooks saying, "I don't want a notebook; everyone uses Ultrabooks now!" Now you're free to do as you like, but I would have said, "Here is a video of Tizen running on a laptop." I'm pretty sure it would run exactly the same on a laptop or desktop with no Intel parts.

And why the f are they using a laptop and mouse for a phone OS, with a bunch of Linux applications that require keyboard and mouse. Tizen is a phone OS! I've already seen Gnome 3 on a laptop.
    Actually AMD releasing their own brand of of thin notebook when Richland APU get release, if I am not mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaz View Post
    And why the f are they using a laptop and mouse for a phone OS, with a bunch of Linux applications that require keyboard and mouse. Tizen is a phone OS! I've already seen Gnome 3 on a laptop.
    From the Tizen website: https://www.tizen.org/about
    Tizen is an open source, standards-based software platform supported by leading mobile operators, device manufacturers, and silicon suppliers for multiple device categories such as smartphones, tablets, netbooks, in-vehicle infotainment devices, and smart TVs.
    So having a mouse/touchpad and a keyboard is not something that you won't ever find on Tizen devices.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X