Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digia Announces "Boot To Qt" Project

Phoronix: Digia Announces "Boot To Qt" Project

Digia has announced a new commercial endeavour that pairs a lightweight Qt stack atop an Android kernel/base operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The goods - faster than Android+JVM.
    The bads - closed source. :/

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      The goods - faster than Android+JVM.
      ... On what do you base this statement?

Cant argue with that...

Edit: from their website, I see that the "speed" thing is about ***BOOT*** times, not actual performance. You know that you can make Android boot in less than half the time by deleting stuff? They say regarding the point of the project "Android brings in a lot of additional stuff, but that is also the point. Most embedded devices do not need that." -- well then don't build them into your Android build. Its pretty easy to customize a build to leave out all the stuff you don't need, and I say this as someone who develops embedded systems (and uses Android, for the most part).
      Last edited by droidhacker; 23 May 2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Can you cut out Dalvik from Android, and still have it boot?

Anything native beating a Java VM in startup speed is not an outrageous claim...

Comment

The UI doesn't look much different from Tizens: Qt 5 Integrated with Tizen Emulator

The UI of both the Sailfish OS and "Ubuntu for phones" looks much more elegant and polished IMHO. Regarding it looks I would prefer Firefox OS or Android as well.

Comment

Does this mean anything to the Plasma Active team?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Does this mean anything to the Plasma Active team?
              Possibly. Qt5 took in some of the "KDE-Only" things and KF5 should be replacing some of the other "KDE-only" things with native, generic Qt ones. While this particular project's source is closed, the idea is not. Its possible that we could see ROM's (Maybe CyanogenMod ) offering versions that boot to a Plasma Active interface based on the ideas of "Boot-To-Qt"
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Mer

Why don't just use Mer?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  Why don't just use Mer?
                  Why not Zoidberg? Same reason.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Code:
                    Cant argue with that...
                    Well, I am not sure this is the case. The Qt source is available under a free license, so I believe you will be able to build this yourself. Of course, it's a tech preview, so not all of it may be released yet. But the basic idea of the dual licensing model is that Digia provides stuff ready-made (compiled, adjusted to the device, etc.) to commercial parties who pay Digia for this bundle together with a support license. If you don't want support, just build it yourself. Of course, I might be wrong and there might be closed-source code in there somewhere, but I haven't seen any statement suggesting this. So I believe that the Phoronix article is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X