Jolla Announces Their First Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
    There will be a livestream with the presentation of the Jolla Phone in about 20 minutes (16:30 GMT):
    http://jolla.streamforce1.tv/
    You forgot an hour

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      You forgot an hour
      oh right, thanks!

Comment

Well, the stream was kind of underwhelming. The only thing they said is that the cover is easily changeable, and from what I gathered, can have something like a built-in SD card in it, so that others could make "stylised" covers that also come with some data. But it sounds like a gimmick that nobody will make use of...

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          If it performs well and has a robust platform, and you can read the screen without it hurting or looking bad, who cares about the specs? Mer is not Android, it doesn't need a quad-core to run efficiently.
          Neither does Android. Stop the trolling. Besides, Mer only provides a foundation of low-level services. The critical part is Jolla's proprietary UI/app framework and it's still unclear whether it'll perform well.

Comment

This video is more informative, showing more in-depth how their UI works:
            Check out our new Hands-on Preview we made on the prelaunch phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C46ytkh5RZYWe met with Jolla's Chief Designer Martin Schüle...

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Openness without open source?
            With. It's the core concept behind the whole device.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              No, nobody ever said their UI was closed-source. It's just a wild rumour. The company hasn't said one way or the other.

It's interesting, but of course I was hoping to see the actual specs. If I get fed up with what I have, I might give it a shot, although for a phone it is quite pricey. Pretty much at the same price as a Samsung Galaxy S III.
              The wikipedia page of sailfish os claims that the entire OS will be released as open source, but the only source for that claim is an ambiguous twitter post...

Citogenesis at work, I think.

Comment

Some more mildly interesting videos on the topic:
                Subscribe to Engadget today: http://bit.ly/YA7pDTWatch more Engadget video Here: http://goo.gl/mMdoaSay hello to the Jolla Phone. Pre-orders for the world's ...

We interviewed Antti Saarnio, the Chairman of the Board at Jolla, at the #JollaLoveDay event. This is The Other Half, in-depth! Also don't forget to check ou...

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                The wikipedia page of sailfish os claims that the entire OS will be released as open source, but the only source for that claim is an ambiguous twitter post...

Citogenesis at work, I think.
                What do you mean? Sure, it's ambiguous, but it's all we have so far. Also, in case you're wondering, the blame goes back to November 2012 for the text as well as the link. Perhaps it's older than you think.

Comment

Check out our new Hands-on Preview we made on the prelaunch phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C46ytkh5RZYWe met with Jolla's Chief Designer Martin Schüle...

cool

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                    Don't know how much open is Firefox OS though.
                    Well, Firefox OS is completely open and now that I see what Jolla has to offer, I'm happy that I got myself a Peak with Firefox OS. Granted, the OS is still beta, but it mostly does what I need, and since it is completely open, and the carriers seem to want it, I'm quite confident that it will improve over time and not die (like Maemo and MeeGo did).

Comment

From what I understood of SailfishOS; the Mer core is completely free, and is a proper Linux setup (not based around a non-libc library) and the UI is Jolla exclusive, but the MeeGo UI is open on it (mind you that's different than Harmattan MeeGo's swipe-ui).

I could be wrong on this, and Jolla could open up Sailfish's UI. But there are git repositories that people can look at to see how all the development is going.

Earlier someone mentioned C and Gtk+. I think you can still write software with that, but Qt will obviously be quicker and have less memory requirements, since the UI runs in that and Qt will already be in memory.

leech

Comment

Working...
                      X