Jolla Announces Their First Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    well at least not yet. Not till we get ubuntu-phone in convergence mode to replace our desktops

hmm wasnt jolla suppose to be open source or something like that ?

I mean Marc is a cool guy so I thought he was making a deserving product.
    They're contributing heavily to Mer, which is pretty open and friendly community (they helped me a lot while trying out Mer on a device). Sailfish GUI on the other hand is not open AFAIk. It's still much more open than Tizen, Android, et similia. Don't know how much open is Firefox OS though.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
      They're contributing heavily to Mer, which is pretty open and friendly community (they helped me a lot while trying out Mer on a device). Sailfish GUI on the other hand is not open AFAIk. It's still much more open than Tizen, Android, et similia. Don't know how much open is Firefox OS though.
      If i remember right then Sailfish GUI is still API compatible with nemo so you can still run an open version if thats what you want.
      What GPU it's using is more interesting if you want open source.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
        No, nobody ever said their UI was closed-source. It's just a wild rumour. The company hasn't said one way or the other.

It's interesting, but of course I was hoping to see the actual specs. If I get fed up with what I have, I might give it a shot, although for a phone it is quite pricey. Pretty much at the same price as a Samsung Galaxy S III.

Comment

Give me qwerty and I'll pay whatever you want for it!

Also, let's not excuse the hardware, it's not great for the price, but it all depends on how the software uses it. My Nokia N900 with a Cortex A8 at 600MHz and 256mb multitasked a lot more and better than my Xperia Pro, which has a 1GHz snapdragon and 512mb ram.

Android is a resource hog. If you do it right, you can do it for less is what I believe.
          Last edited by [Knuckles]; 20 May 2013, 10:50 AM. Reason: Typo!

Comment

nice design! But with this price my first smartphone will be probably rather a smartphone with Firefox OS. Or if I want a expensive phone the Fairphone perhaps.

If I had much money, it would be interesting though. Altough I don't care much with compatiblity with Android apps (and Android malware ).

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              Give me qwerty and I'll pay whatever you want for it!
              This.

If there's no keyboard I still imagine there'll be third-party hardcase covers with bluetooth keyboards eventually, given the kind of userbase this phone attracts.

If not, then I'd wager/hope that someone smarter than me will cook up something like a Jolla Project N955.

Comment

There will be a livestream with the presentation of the Jolla Phone in about 20 minutes (16:30 GMT):
                http://jolla.streamforce1.tv/

Comment

If it performs well and has a robust platform, and you can read the screen without it hurting or looking bad, who cares about the specs? Mer is not Android, it doesn't need a quad-core to run efficiently.

Honestly, as cool as Ubuntu's convergence story is, and as much as I enjoy the idea of one device for everything, I don't think I can avoid buying this phone. The interface just feels right to me- it's about me, it's for me, it's community-oriented. I really do hope they open their whole stack, including the Silica components for the interface, because it would be a shame if that held them back from success in the broader community.

Here's hoping it doesn't share the same fate as the N9, which itself is still an excellent phone with a modern experience even compared to recent innovations. These are exciting times for consumers, without a doubt.

Comment

I like it. People who expect small company like that to be able to match or exceed Samsung, LG or Nokia don't have a clue.

Things like this are not about ridiculously blown HW, but end result of HW+SW.

I like their quest for the essence and care about performance, so that they don't use virtual machine as their primary offer.

So user should be able to exploit C++ with Qt to the max. I just wish something with more basic environment, like C and gtk+, with less runtime fat and more close-to-the-metal approach.

It would be nice if we could see detailed technical data. Marketing phrase "Phone with two halves" doesn't tell me much and video suggests that "other half" might be just a estetical cover...

OTOH, thing might have high-bandwidth interface for 3-rd party "other half" ( like measurement equipment etc)...

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Here's hoping it doesn't share the same fate as the N9, which itself is still an excellent phone with a modern experience even compared to recent innovations. These are exciting times for consumers, without a doubt.
                      That's the whole point of Jolla. An N9 with more openness, features and production.

Comment

Working...
                      X