Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gummiboot Is Still Simply Booting EFI Systems

Phoronix: Gummiboot Is Still Simply Booting EFI Systems

It's been over six months since last writing about Gummiboot, a simple EFI boot-loader. While there hasn't been any major news since than on this EFI boot-loader that's less than one year old, it continues to be actively developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Gummiboot Is Still Simply Booting EFI Systems

It's been over six months since last writing about Gummiboot, a simple EFI boot-loader. While there hasn't been any major news since than on this EFI boot-loader that's less than one year old, it continues to be actively developed...
    Boy you are wrong. Reading commit logs is fine but it wont cut it these days. G+ is a valuable source too! You really need to go to Kays G+ and check out what he is up to. Right now he is on a heroic mission to do away with stupid shit in the core level. This includes looking at wasted time during firmware loading. Newest gummiboot and systemd is able to track this.

The infinite amount of stupidity of todays bootloaders are about to die. Off course this is nice for phoronix too. Because while the usual doers will fix it (Kay, Poettering et al.) a bunch of teenage forkster will make some noise and use their "agile skills" to make horrible but yet funny forks. Great stuff for phoronix journalism.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 22 January 2013, 02:50 AM.

Comment

gummiboot is my favorite bootloader to convert a standard install to an efi one. i wrote a little script that should work with debian sid or latest ubuntu or when you fetch a current gnu-efi package from those. what i do is to fake a windows install and also use the name of the efi shell that you can start from some uefi systems from external storage (like asus, asrock, but msi sometimes has that built-in), that means most uefi systems will autodetect the binary, most will show windows some will find it at the default position with quick boot selection. if you want you could install grub-efi later too but you have to boot in efi mode first, thats how i do that. all you need is a primary fat(32) partition or any fat(32) gpt partition mounted to /boot/efi in your fstab and currently. Then run this as root:

it expects that the latest installed kernel+initrd has symlinks in /, thats usually the case on Debian. I read somewhere that the secure boot support is not enough in gummiboot but could not test it.

Comment

Working...
      X