Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linaro 12.12 Enhances ARM Linux Performance

Phoronix: Linaro 12.12 Enhances ARM Linux Performance

For kicking off a new week of Linux benchmarking at Phoronix is a round of ARMv7 performance benchmarks using Linaro 12.12. The Linaro 12.12 release from December was compared to Ubuntu 12.10, Linaro 12.10, Fedora 17, and Arch Linux on the PandaBoard ES with its Texas Instruments OMAP4460 Cortex-A9 SoC.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did anyone notice that under Arch it is reporting the CPU speed as being 1 GHz while the others are 1.2 GHz? Maybe it just reports differently due to the different governor settings, but I found that interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Did anyone notice that under Arch it is reporting the CPU speed as being 1 GHz while the others are 1.2 GHz? Maybe it just reports differently due to the different governor settings, but I found that interesting.
      I noticed that Arch was the only one with governor = performance, where the rest were ondemand... but I hadn't noticed the difference in actual clock speeds. I figured that the fact that Arch was listed as Performance should've given it an advantage, but it doesn't seem so.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        I noticed that Arch was the only one with governor = performance, where the rest were ondemand... but I hadn't noticed the difference in actual clock speeds. I figured that the fact that Arch was listed as Performance should've given it an advantage, but it doesn't seem so.
        I'm thinking the governors are set at different speeds. I would assume the performance governor would set the speed to 1.2 GHz, but it doesn't seem so.

Comment

Good thing Ubuntu gets some optimizations for OMAP 4460. That's exactly what it will run on the Galaxy Nexus with Ubuntu Phone OS.

Comment

Any of this works for Raspberry Pi? Freaking Ubuntu!

Comment

Does anyone else not see how this release is any better than the 12.10 release? I mean, if you added the error bars for 3 repeats, I'm sure none of the linaro/ubuntu resuts would be significant.

This data has been scientist'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                Any of this works for Raspberry Pi? Freaking Ubuntu!
                No, nobody cares about that 11 year old core. Don't blame Ubuntu for targeting what everyone else is targeting too.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  No, nobody cares about that 11 year old core. Don't blame Ubuntu for targeting what everyone else is targeting too.
                  There was 500000 Raspberry Pi sold. Not so bad!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Exactly, Ubuntu isn't the right platform for the raspberry pi anyway. Case closed!

Debian works great on it, I wish would stop whining. There is practically ZERO learning curve to run a debian server VS an ubuntu server.

Comment

Working...
                    X