No announcement yet.

The PengPod Linux Tablet Is Becoming A Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree on the need for an ARM board with standard interfaces and mounting holes. The only one so far I know of is Via's APC.

I guess the would-be users of such a thing just aren't a big enough market.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I completely agree on the need for an ARM board with standard interfaces and mounting holes. The only one so far I know of is Via's APC.

I guess the would-be users of such a thing just aren't a big enough market.
      Well i disagree in the two points:

VIA APC doesn't use the Mini-ITX standard but Neo-ITX standard....i don't even know of anyone that makes standard cases for it...

Many of the Mini-ITX owners use then for HTPC , Web Surf, NAS, simple office tasks and even for very light gaming....

All those tasks could be done with a lower price and lower power drain ARM-based Mini-ITX board.

Comment

PS: ...as for lack of interest , VIA sold in some days all production of the APC....look to the interest in ODROID-X(2) , CubieBoard, etc.....a proper ARM solution using a proper standard and connections for CPU and RAM would sell as hotcakes...

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          Well i disagree in the two points:

VIA APC doesn't use the Mini-ITX standard but Neo-ITX standard....i don't even know of anyone that makes standard cases for it...
          Neo-ITX is fully compatible with the larger standards.

So you can put it in a Mini-ITX case, Micro-ATX case, or even a full ATX case. The only thing you lose by going with a Mini-ITX case vs a native Neo-ITX case is some size, which at these levels doesn't really matter.

Comment

allwinner a10 with that price, meh! overpriced!
            I'll try to snap an odroid u

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Neo-ITX is fully compatible with the larger standards.

So you can put it in a Mini-ITX case, Micro-ATX case, or even a full ATX case. The only thing you lose by going with a Mini-ITX case vs a native Neo-ITX case is some size, which at these levels doesn't really matter.
              Fully compatible ?!?

Well two of the four mounting holes might be compatible but the other two aren't for sure, they are clearly spaced in a different way than a Mini-ITX.

Here are pics taken from below of a VIA APC....

...and from a typical Mini-ITX motherboard....

Clearly only two mounting holes are compatible.

Of course that you can that you can install yourself some standoffs...

Comment

Good point, I don't have one myself, I went by their official information.

Comment

Working...
                X