• Show
Clear All

• JS987
    replied
    Chromebook needs following to be usable:
    CPU ARM A57 quad core
    RAM 4 GB
    SSD 60 GB or more
    open source 2D/3D graphics drivers with support for HW video decoding like VDPAU

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    that's the thing

like JS said in that thread where I asked people if they were buying it

as good as the arm cpu perfomance is

doing anything... ANYTHING like watching a html5 video with the chromebook

will bring your system to it's knees

DECENT GPU DRIVERS OR GTFO

and this is what I don't understand about linux, if chrome OS is linux

and chrome OS has the driver

why can't anyone "steal" the driver from chrome os to linux??

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    fbdev

Using FBDev for it's graphics driver means you'll have a better Linux experience on a Matrox G200 equiped Xenon server from Dell.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    That apache result is a bit interesting. Anyone know why it does badly on A15?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
    I think the first thing after the Ubuntu install will be removing Unity and put on XFCE or Mate.

Unity would be way to slow for this hw.
    If you wanted Xfce, I think you'd go for Xubuntu instead.

Leave a comment:

• asoltesz
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    the interesting thing here is that given the previous lukewarm reception to chromebooks

both samsung and google had no idea this arm model would prove so popular

so they sold out and now have supply difficulties

also benchmarks don't show you the real picture of how it ACTUALLY runs ubuntu just how well the cpu performs...

unity without a decent gpu driver most be painful
    I think the first thing after the Ubuntu install will be removing Unity and put on XFCE or Mate.

Unity would be way to slow for this hw.

Leave a comment:

• jabbas
    replied
    Somebody wanted to compare this with E-450, so here it is: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1211219SU40

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    Originally posted by pepe View Post
    Are you kidding? It's completely open.

Someone even documented on Google+ right around the time that systems were introduced how to get a regular distro onto a Chromebook by booting from SD cards:

https://plus.google.com/109993695638...ts/b2fazijJppZ
    I quoted those instructions earlier, and they are insanely complicated. There are two issues here: 1st. It is hard to dual boot on any chromebook device, and in part it has to do with the BIOS and ChromeOS security model. The second one is Samsung's fault: some of the kernel bits are binary blobs, so you'll see in these instructions that you need to manually copy a lot of binaries and hope for the best.

This is _not_ an open laptop on my book. I should be able to pop any OS on a USB drive and tell the BIOS to load it, and that does not work. Sure, it can be hacked, anything can be hacked/rooted/cracked. It doesn't mean it's "open".

In fairness to Google, ChromeOS is open source, but the model they follow is not open.

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    the interesting thing here is that given the previous lukewarm reception to chromebooks

both samsung and google had no idea this arm model would prove so popular

so they sold out and now have supply difficulties

also benchmarks don't show you the real picture of how it ACTUALLY runs ubuntu just how well the cpu performs...

unity without a decent gpu driver most be painful

Leave a comment:

• jabbas
    replied
    I've made some benchmarks with HP Pavillion tx2550ev: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1211119SU75 it looks quite interesting... But I agree, graphics, webbrowsing benchmarks will tell more!

And merged results with Acer Aspire One and above HP: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-MERGE400962
    Last edited by jabbas; 21 November 2012, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X