• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    I am a douchebag
    FIFY + 10chars.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      Well, this is what they wanted I guess - it was after all the whole point of Unity, to run on the desktop/laptop/phone/tablet (heck it's in the name).

Now let's see it crash and burn as my cynical side thinks it will. Not sure how Canonical expects it to even challenge the iPad when Android is struggling with might of Google.
      Who is struggling?
      US tablet OWNERSHIP share is currently 52% iCrap, 48% Android.
      Last year it was 81% iCrap, 19% Android.

Think about that carefully, those are OWNERSHIP numbers, not sales figures. In order to gain ownership share like that, you really have to DRAMATICALLY exceed your competitor in MARKET share (sales).

More interesting numbers; 25% of Americans OWN a tablet. Well sortof. Some may own more than 1, more correctly, there is 1 IN USE tablet for every 4 Americans. A year ago, the figure was 11%.

US population is 311 million.
      25% = 77,750,000
      11% = 34,210,000
      Net increase over the last year = 43,540,000

Now the numbers.
      Last year, 81% of 11% = 27,710,100 iCrap, 19% of 11% = 6,499,900 Android
      Now, 52% of 25% = 40,430,000 iCrap, 48% of 25% = 37,320,000 Android
      Net increase: 12,719,900 iCrap, 30,820,100 Android

Those aren't sales figures, those are net increase figures. Actual sales figures are probably just a little bit higher than that to cover replacement devices for those broken and not covered by warranty. They are probably close enough that we can use them to approximate market share.

So in the US over the last year, total tablet sales were 43,540,000 units.
      That puts the market share for ANDROID devices at 71%. iCrap is at 29%.

Isn't it interesting how a little bit of analysis can throw a wrench into obsolete assumptions? Apple is FAR from the juggernaut that their absurdly loud and obnoxious advertisements would have you believe. One of their attacks that is probably causing you confusion about how successful they are, is that they actually PAY for FAKE NEWS REPORTS. When you have the bunch of douchebags on... CNN, or whatever news, talking about iCrap, apple is actually PAYING them for it -- it is just another form of advertising.

Comment

Oh, how I wish I..

can have a linux phone instead of smartphone. I want full OS + apps with sms and call in a phone, which can be extended (to monitor, keyboard, etc). Not a smartphone, but UMPC with phone capabilities. That'll awesome. Me think

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          I wonder if the Nexus port is the first public variant of "Ubuntu for Android" It would definitely be nice to be able to play with that very promising project and I guess they will eventually need users to iron out the issues (contact sharing, seamless browser session transfer etc...).
          Interesting question. My understanding of "Ubuntu for Android" Is that it's Ubuntu running alongside Android. But, perhaps, are we here seeing instead a flashable Ubuntu ROM that completely replaces Android? I guess I'll find out when I'm at UDS next week. Seriously thinking about buying one right now before I depart, but then, it's probably better to wait for the 32 GiB version.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Who is struggling?
            US tablet OWNERSHIP share is currently 52% iCrap, 48% Android.
            Last year it was 81% iCrap, 19% Android.

Think about that carefully, those are OWNERSHIP numbers, not sales figures. In order to gain ownership share like that, you really have to DRAMATICALLY exceed your competitor in MARKET share (sales).

More interesting numbers; 25% of Americans OWN a tablet. Well sortof. Some may own more than 1, more correctly, there is 1 IN USE tablet for every 4 Americans. A year ago, the figure was 11%.

US population is 311 million.
            25% = 77,750,000
            11% = 34,210,000
            Net increase over the last year = 43,540,000

Now the numbers.
            Last year, 81% of 11% = 27,710,100 iCrap, 19% of 11% = 6,499,900 Android
            Now, 52% of 25% = 40,430,000 iCrap, 48% of 25% = 37,320,000 Android
            Net increase: 12,719,900 iCrap, 30,820,100 Android

Those aren't sales figures, those are net increase figures. Actual sales figures are probably just a little bit higher than that to cover replacement devices for those broken and not covered by warranty. They are probably close enough that we can use them to approximate market share.

So in the US over the last year, total tablet sales were 43,540,000 units.
            That puts the market share for ANDROID devices at 71%. iCrap is at 29%.

Isn't it interesting how a little bit of analysis can throw a wrench into obsolete assumptions? Apple is FAR from the juggernaut that their absurdly loud and obnoxious advertisements would have you believe. One of their attacks that is probably causing you confusion about how successful they are, is that they actually PAY for FAKE NEWS REPORTS. When you have the bunch of douchebags on... CNN, or whatever news, talking about iCrap, apple is actually PAYING them for it -- it is just another form of advertising.
            Thanks for the nice analysis. Interesting read (except for the juvinile use of "iCrap" - although there were som fun videos on the net about the word iPad even before it existed ).

Taking the rest of the world into account would probably put Android even further ahead. This is an interesting example of cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev55in
              I wish people/Canonical spent their time on important stuff.

Why don't YOU spend YOUR time on important stuff?

Canonical is perfectly in their right to do what they think is important. If that does not align with what you find important, perhaps you should try to find a project that does?

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                Interesting question. My understanding of "Ubuntu for Android" Is that it's Ubuntu running alongside Android. But, perhaps, are we here seeing instead a flashable Ubuntu ROM that completely replaces Android? I guess I'll find out when I'm at UDS next week. Seriously thinking about buying one right now before I depart, but then, it's probably better to wait for the 32 GiB version.
                It's a proper full Ubuntu desktop install. No Android in sight. Device wiped.

Comment

Originally posted by popey View Post
                  It's a proper full Ubuntu desktop install. No Android in sight. Device wiped.
                  Cool! And I even hear that some Staples stores have early shipments of the 32 GiB models and a few are selling them now. Alas, none of the stores in Seattle seem willing to release one early. Damn.

Comment

afik it woun't be avalable before around 2012/11/14

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      afik it woun't be avalable before around 2012/11/14
                      The four stores I called all admitted to having it in stock, but policy prevents them from selling it early. I even pleaded: "I'm going to UDS, I'll be in Copenhagen on the 29th, pleeeeeeeease can I buy one early?" Didn't help.

One store also claimed they have a 64 GiB version! I asked, "Are you sure?" He said, "We have a sign for it." Sheesh...

Comment

Working...
                      X