PowerTOP Can Still Extend Battery Life On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point.

But GNOME, KDE, etc. all have their control centres. If power management comes at a compromise, the options should at least be available there so that you don't have to be a geek/spend several hours surfing the net to power-optimise your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
      Good point.

But GNOME, KDE, etc. all have their control centres. If power management comes at a compromise, the options should at least be available there so that you don't have to be a geek/spend several hours surfing the net to power-optimise your machine.
      The thing is, I have heard that with modern hardware (i.e. newer-then-Pentium4 and alike) the penalties for powersavings should not be that bad, however because of some old hardware does have really bad penalties the peanut gallery still has a tendecy to shout "you're killing my performance!" as soon as someone says "power saving by default", and this may be something that should publicly be tested, and verified/debunked, to end those comments...

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
        It's not intuitive but if you run powertop with the --html arg it will take a snapshot and print out the available power toggles and how to do them. However it will not tell you how to do them if within powertop it says good for the various power settings listed, only if it says bad.
        Thanks! That's really useful

Comment

Working...
        X