Nokia Reportedly Selling Off Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I just don't see any company, with the resources to do a proper job of modernizing QT, to take it on. Beyond that a community project would likely die out or degerate into a developers nightmare. I just don't see something like QT lasting without strong corporate sponsorship and I don't see any corporation taking interest.
    I assume you Qt is in much better position than gtk and it's also much stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
      RIM is almost as doomed as Nokia, but, unlike Nokia, they are betting the house on Qt, and those Trolls could do wonders with a company that actually depends on them.
      agreed.

never mind Intel, I hope RIM buy Qt:

Comment

What in RMS's beard is that abomination above? A facebook redirector instead of a direct url? Complete with ads and tracking?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          What in RMS's beard is that abomination above?
          Lol I suppose there aren't many non-tech savvy users around, so no harm done.

Anyway, I really really liked the N9 and Meego. It's one of the most simple and effective mobile OSes I tried. If they had pushed it further with more models at other price points I'm almost sure Nokia would have become a relevant company once again.

Comment

Actually this could be very good for Qt, because it could mean an end to the CLA which would result in a stronger Qt community. Besides I somehow doubt all of these devs are just going to disappear from the project, ICS, KDAB, and otherwise are probably already setting up to pick over the corpse and it's likely that most if not all of these devs will be staying in the ecosystem that way.

Comment

IBM would be a good fit. Heck Red Hat does a new desktop based on Qt.

IBM has been doing a ton of work that could use Qt. I think that Qt might be the best framework for building applications in house and has really gotten allot of traction with Python and other programmers the past year or so.

Personally gnome is a mess of a frame work and Qt is very elegant IMHO.

Comment

Huh? What desktop is RedHat doing with Qt?

Comment

Just Saying New Desktop

I was just saying that Red Hat could come up with a new DE i.e. I'm talking out of my butt. I just hate GTK look and feel and would like to see more use of Qt in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    What in RMS's beard is that abomination above? A facebook redirector instead of a direct url? Complete with ads and tracking?
                    easy tiger.

simply did "copy-link-location" from where i had already posted it on facebook.

no big deal, knickers can be untwisted, etc.

original link here:

(cannot seem to edit post now to remove the facebook redirector)

Comment

Jolla play

This basically ends Jolla dreams of MeeGo revival. While Nokia explicitly hurting them would cause a PR disaster in Finland, a 3rd party will not have such reservations. Of course if a desktop oriented company buys it, they may still cooperate.
                      Let's hope Digia pick that after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X