Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple iPad Tethering Now Works With Linux

Phoronix: Apple iPad Tethering Now Works With Linux

If you've been wanting to share your iPad's Internet connection with your Linux system without resorting to jail-breaking your tablet or going through other lengthy steps, it should now be possible to setup...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks simple

It looks trivial to add support for new devices.
    He just did #define USB_PRODUCT_IPAD 0x129a to add support for the iPad.
    So I assume you would just need to get the product id and add another line or two and you'll have support for the iPad 2 and 3?

Comment

Hmm, ok... a feature for those with genuine brain defects. WHO in their right mind would actually pay for a mobile data connection for a tablet? You have your phone in your pocket all the time anyway, SHARE THAT with your tablet, your laptop, or any other computer you're using.

Secondly, only a total piece of iTrash would fail to support proper network sharing and require proprietary bullshit.

A *GOOD* tablet, i.e., ANDROID, will share whatever network connection it has with anything that wants to connect... i.e., via BLUETOOTH, WIFI, or USBNET. Take your pick.

I suggest that people do NOT WASTE ENERGY implementing iTrash specific hacks. Let iTrash users suffer -- they deserve it for being stupid enough to actually buy that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Hmm, ok... a feature for those with genuine brain defects. WHO in their right mind would actually
        buy iEvil products?

Anyway, couldn't agree more with your post, droidhacker.

Comment

Hmm, ok... a feature for those with genuine brain defects. WHO in their right mind would actually pay for a mobile data connection for a tablet? You have your phone in your pocket all the time anyway, SHARE THAT with your tablet, your laptop, or any other computer you're using.

Secondly, only a total piece of iTrash would fail to support proper network sharing and require proprietary bullshit.

A *GOOD* tablet, i.e., ANDROID, will share whatever network connection it has with anything that wants to connect... i.e., via BLUETOOTH, WIFI, or USBNET. Take your pick.

I suggest that people do NOT WASTE ENERGY implementing iTrash specific hacks. Let iTrash users suffer -- they deserve it for being stupid enough to actually buy that crap.
          Story time:
          My mom asked me last summer what tablet she should get. I thought about what was available for Android, Windows 7 Tablet, WebOS, and iOS. It took me about 10 seconds to decide to recommend an iPad to her. I already own a 7" Android tablet, and given the number of crashes from applications and the tablet itself that I'd seen, and the general UI responsiveness issues with it, I really didn't want to have to deal with support calls for that... A full-blown windows tablet seemed overkill for what she wanted to do (surf the web and check her email while on the road during vacations, and from the couch at home). WebOS already seemed like a dead end, and I didn't have experience with it (and wouldn't be able to support it well).

I told her to get an iPad. Apple already had a few generations of iOS devices under their belt, and I knew the OS was stable (I've owned iPhone 2G and 4, probably going to switch to Android next). The UI is responsive and pleasant. It is more polished than Android (including ICS), and my mom couldn't care less about tethering a data plan between devices, or the fact that she could hook up a debugging cable to the device during development. She didn't care about jailbreaking or rooting the device, and as long as it checked email and was able to view fairly static web pages (no flash), she was happy.

Oh, and iOS is perfectly capable of tethering over Wireless, Bluetooth, or USB. Verizon and AT&T disable the feature unless you pay an extra fee to re-enable it (AT&T is $20/mo, not sure about Verizon).

Comment

An iPhone can share its network connection via WiFi & Bluetooth easily without any proprietary stuff. iPad probably behaves the same (unless you bought some crippled-by-carrier-version but then you know what you paid for). Not sure about USB. Sorry to prove you wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It looks trivial to add support for new devices.
              He just did #define USB_PRODUCT_IPAD 0x129a to add support for the iPad.
              So I assume you would just need to get the product id and add another line or two and you'll have support for the iPad 2 and 3?
              Yes, exactly. It would be nice if it would be possible to define a product id range to check for instead of having to add individual ones. The ones supported are listed in usbmuxd's udev rules and used by libimobiledevice.

Comment

Working...
              X