Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux On The 2012 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popper View Post
    and you make my point perfectly there, as you say and i implied above
    I made exactly the opposite of your point.

You: Apple rebadges Dell
    Me: Apple sources from a supplier, and typically has an exclusive for a year, after which Dell begins sourcing from the same supplier.

but as to your speculated "iMac retina 20" @ 2*1920x1080 = 3840x2160" that doesnt seem very likely does it as apple going all the way back to the original mac have never kept to the official standards, and so it will more likely be a slightly reduced panel and they will be the first in retail to sell that size screen whatever it finally is, but it wont be a standard 16:9 ratio like the real QFHD (3840?2160) OC
    Going NPOT will lead to scaling issues. They need to quadruple the pixel density, else all of their UI elements and assets (Both retina and legacy) won't work, or will suffer from horrendous scaling issues. The pixel-doubling fallback will also disappear.

If they release a high-ppi iMac, it's either going to be QFHD, or some new arithmetic magic needs to be invented to make up for scaling NPOT. While the latter is not impossible, I don't think it's going to ever happen, or that it even needs to happen. That said, I don't think we'll see a QFHD iMac this year, and will be shocked if Apple pulls it off. Late 2013 is probably when we'll see large high-ppi displays in the consumer space.

Comment

Ubuntu is clearly not ready. Out of the box at least.

Souce: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/w...na-display-bad

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Ubuntu is clearly not ready. Out of the box at least.

Souce: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/w...na-display-bad
        how Unity would look if run on a Retina display Macbook today (albeit scaled by a factor of 4):
        AlanBell ? 6 hours ago ? parent −
        go make one, take a screenshot of a KDE desktop, make a big canvas in gimp, move things to where they would go on the big screen and fill in the bits where you have gaps and slap a scaled version of the desktop background over the main part. Thats how I made the screenshot in the article.
        Wut. How about actually trying it to see whether it actually renders that way once it gets the DPI from the display?

On the other hand, it's not too bad, at least on a 17 inch display, fonts could be a little bit bigger for my taste. Why there is no 17 inch mac book from apple... who knows?

Comment

Fuck. I thought they actually tested it.

Apologies. I will read more carefully before i post something.

Comment

But if you want a pretty, sleek, aluminium laptop and don't mind paying for it. Then Apple is pretty much the only choice.
            Other laptops are plastic and feel like toys and have dozens of stickers on em.
            Now i know that you are trolling theres tons of Ultrabooks available in market

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
              Now i know that you are trolling theres tons of Ultrabooks available in market
              I believe he was speaking in the context of the MBP's category of laptops. I could be wrong though. I agree that there are MBA competitors, but disagree that the majority of the Ultrabooks on the market come close should be presented as such.

The MBP, MBPNG, and MBA are all really nice products. I'd challenge you to try one out for a week and see what happens. Borrow one from a friend, or see if you can leverage the 14day return policy. At the very best, it could work for you. At the very worst, you end up with a wasted week, a bit more perspective, some barista's friend-request, and a couple gripes that you can use to tell Mac users how full of BS they are.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                There's a diverse PC hardware ecosystem outside of what Apple offers. Both Asus and Sony have nice high-end aluminum laptop offerings.
                But do they offer unibody chassis?
                Plus, their laptops are plastered full of stickers.

Comment

I'm shocked that hasn't been an Article about Michael whining about not getting free hardware to "test" Linux on

Comment

I believe he was speaking in the context of the MBP's category of laptops. I could be wrong though. I agree that there are MBA competitors, but disagree that the majority of the Ultrabooks on the market come close should be presented as such.
                    I was replying to uid313 who has no knowledge about current MBA/MBP competitors and yet is presenting us here with lies example: google/ddg Samsung 700Z (its 15.6 alumininum notebook with numeric keyboard)

The MBP, MBPNG, and MBA are all really nice products. I'd challenge you to try one out for a week and see what happens. Borrow one from a friend, or see if you can leverage the 14day return policy. At the very best, it could work for you. At the very worst, you end up with a wasted week, a bit more perspective, some barista's friend-request, and a couple gripes that you can use to tell Mac users how full of BS they are.
                    I'm not really interested in Ultrabooks whatsoever i just wanted to debunk obvious lies also i like simplicity and extensibility which none of Ultrabooks and Apple stuff actually offers and the bottom line is OSX is really terrible OS i had experience with Snow Leopard

Comment

you are aware that many of the so called Apple displays are in fact just re-badged and striped down Dell devices right ? and these original Dell devices with more inputs have existed in retail for quite some time now.

and you are also aware that as of 2012, QFHD (3840?2160) is the newest standard from ITU drafts, this resolution is part of the UHDTV standard. It is four times the resolution of the 1080p HDTV video standard, hence the name (Quad meaning 4). HDMI 1.4 supports QFHD and several high grade products already exist today if you have the cash to buy them.

"Eyevis produces a 56" LCD named EYELCD 56 QHD HD while Toshiba makes the P56QHD and in October 2011 released the REGZA 55x3, which is claimed to be the First QFHD glasses-free 3D TV, Mitsubishi Electric the 56P-QF60LCU, and Sony the SRM-L560, all which can deliver a resolution of 3840?2160. Landmark has also produced a 56" QFHD monitor, the M5600"

then OC in the near future (within the next 8 years) there's the UHD (7680?4320) spec to be ratified and production to make and ship in retail, and far sooner in the high profit industrial grade markets medical/broadcast Etc.

UHD (Ultra High Definition), also known as 8K or 8K UHDTV, is a proposed display standard of 7680?4320 pixels (16 times the resolution of FHD) in the same 16:9 aspect ratio. It is advocated by NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories and worked on by them and the BBC.

so better start saving now if you want these types of display for both 2D and 3D work and OC you will be needing something like the red-rocket card to run them so another extra $5K to put away
                      http://www.red.com/products/red-rocket
                      4K and 8K displays are too expensive and AFAICT are being sold as TVs only not 24" or 30" computer monitors. I just want a sharper LCD in a notebook or 24" desktop monitor. So a 15" or 15.6" notebook LCD with native 1920x1200 (my Lenovo w500) is great, but 2880x1800 would be better. Apple's the first company I've seen offer 2880x1800 in a 15" screen (maybe there are others but I do not know who they are).

Comment

Working...
                      X