Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Sets To Make ARM Even Stronger

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Sets To Make ARM Even Stronger

While Ubuntu 12.04 already did a very good job at enhancing the ARM performance, Ubuntu 12.10 already has a number of performance improvements for ARM devices.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about debian?

Does anybody know, wether these changes can also be found in Debian -- either originated there or where backported?

It would be nice to have a speed up for my OpenRD server

Comment

No, debian hasn't hardfp. Debian has to run on every arm machine including low end ones, ubuntu doesn't.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I was wrong, here it is: http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Cortex-strings is a year and a half old already, and is not in a single upstream libc. Upstream integration where, Ubuntu?

They at least patch their own eglibc with it, so one can use the patch if one knows where to look for it. Having to link an extra lib doesn't really work out, just ask Intel and AMD about their optimized string and math libs.

Comment

Is this work actually done by Canonical to improve the ARM toolchain or is it piggybacking on work done by other companies (Linaro springs to mind)

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Is this work actually done by Canonical to improve the ARM toolchain or is it piggybacking on work done by other companies (Linaro springs to mind)
              Canonical is Linaro partner and works with them to make Linux better for ARM.

Comment

Yes, the GCC ARM optimizations are mainly done by Linaro. Canonical does take part in Linaro, but I don't really know how much.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  Canonical is Linaro partner and works with them to make Linux better for ARM.
                  Canonical is a commercial entity. they don't want to make Linux better for ARM, they want to make Ubuntu better for ARM. Their goal is that you run Ubuntu, not any other Linux distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    Canonical is a commercial entity. they don't want to make Linux better for ARM, they want to make Ubuntu better for ARM. Their goal is that you run Ubuntu, not any other Linux distribution.
                    Well in progress of making Ubuntu better for ARM they are also making Linux better for ARM by working upstream with Linaro. They are in no way trying to make it harder for other distributions to support ARM.

Comment

Working...
                    X