X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia, comment??!...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I really cannot understand what this free homepage hosting (founded by Yandex) has to do anything with your hollow baseless accusations.
      Artem, you forgot introduce yourself.

Proprietary NVIDIA/AMD graphics drivers don't support KMS/VirtualFB and lag in features implementation (proper Randr support
      By the way why you still think proprietary driver doesn't support randr? Catalyst support it for years, nVidia support it since latest beta.

Too many layers of abstraction lead to the situation when the user cannot determine why his audio doesn't work
      Just like in Windows: driver -> DirectSound/WASAPI/ASIO/etc. -> application.

X.org is largely outdated, unsuitable and even insecure for modern PCs and applications.
      Security issue you talking about is already resolved.

You really need to update this list and review many items. Now this looks like nothing but stupid trolling.

Comment

Gonna have to file this one away under "full of chit". I'm sure the guy meant well, but he's full of chit. Or it's being misreported.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Artem, you forgot introduce yourself.
          Is it relevant for this discussion? Is it necessary to get personal?

By the way why you still think proprietary driver doesn't support randr? Catalyst support it for years, nVidia support it since latest beta.
          You failed to spot the word "proper".

Just like in Windows: driver -> DirectSound/WASAPI/ASIO/etc. -> application.
          Unlike in Windows, sound in Linux often doesn't work for dozens of applications. And I don't want to Google why this or that application is muted. It's a major f* up. Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Linux. Can you hear anything? No. So, shut the f* up.

Security issue you talking about is already resolved.
          Nothing is yet resolved. Security in Linux is a bloody mess.

You really need to update this list and review many items. Now this looks like nothing but stupid trolling.
          Speak for yourself. I can stand for everything that's written there. In most cases references are given, sometimes to comments at ./ rated as insightful +5 or informative +5, which means that the most intelligent geeks' crowd on the Internet endorses this document.

Please go back to l.o.r. and prove your soundness there. This is an international website and it's not a place for pesky trolling by people who are unable to argue and fail to read and understand English.

Comment

Optimus holding back Linux with OEMs? That will get sorted out, and they'll come pointing at the PCIe ASPM issue, wailing that they'll have to make their products adhere to standards. =>Not buying it.

Optimus/(insert name of AMD counterpart) could be well supported under Linux, if the ressources had been pulled together, not each company doing it in its own little sandbox. The infrastructure is coming (DMABUF, switcheroo...)the major thing holding all of this back are the closed drivers not playing nice. remember http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA1OTU ? Proprietary got their way that time.

I'm all for solutions, as long as they are technically correct (meaning scalable and usable in other places). Hack upon hack upon hack just to get something working NOW(tm) is a very bad approach.

Fire up Quake 2 binaries under Linux. Can you hear anything? No. So, shut the f* up.
            Fire up Warcraf 2 under Windows Seven... is it playable? Not for me. Old software is outdated and using the wrong APIs/concepts, that's all there is to it.
            As for sound in general, with Linux and the ALSA layer I have done things with my soundcard I never thought were possible, I for myself say that it is a very nice piece of software.

and FYI : slashdot isn't as good a meter as you think.

Comment

USE AMD instead

Laptops are not for hard gaming, and casual gaming even Intel can manage it.

And Ubuntu has a 100 hz kernel, not very good for gaming, better if they install 2 kernels, the low latency one and the generic one.

AMD Ubuntu performs more or less the same in MS WOS and Ubuntu, and Nvidia performs far better in MS WOS, to ban Nvidia from ubuntu preinstalled computers now that Ubuntu is going to have, thanks to Asia Dell, a 5% market share can make Nvidia to make better drivers.

AMD also still has problems - less but still - with Gnome3 and Cinnamon, in fact with Mutter and Muffin.

Also as I read metacity works better with Unity than default compiz, perhpaps tehy must switch in preinstalled machines until this low performance in opengl games is solved. Or install Xubuntu - I use xubuntu-desktop with ATi, and is fast as hell -

Last but not least any computer with ubuntu will run faster than with MS WOS 7, more noticeable if they are not high end ones for a "normal" use and this 5% can grow very fast with next ARM64 desktop and laptop computers.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-lowlatency
              sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency
              sudo update-grub
              Last edited by mitcoes; 08 May 2012, 02:07 PM.

Comment

When do you get that update-grub is triggered? You can do that same with just one command:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-lowlatency linux-lowlatency

Comment

the irony to me is that if nvidia supported wayland, they wouldn't have to even think about optimus. IIRC, wayland supports live GPU switching.

I'd have to agree with one of the earlier posters though, its better to have 1 GPU perform well and at other times be a great powersaver than it is to have 1 powerful gpu and 1 energy efficient gpu.

Comment

comments at ./ rated as insightful +5 or informative +5, which means that the most intelligent geeks' crowd on the Internet endorses this document.
                    LOL, I'm not sure most people would describe slashdot as "the most intelligent crowd on the internet".

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      LOL, I'm not sure most people would describe slashdot as "the most intelligent crowd on the internet".
                      Keep on lol'ing.

Or show me any different website on the net which has the same density of high quality comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X