Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android As A First Class Citizen To Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Android As A First Class Citizen To Linux Kernel

Greg Kroah-Hartman was asked today during a panel he was moderating at the 6th annual Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit about Google's Android on the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can this not make you happy and put a smile on your face.

Comment

So now I can run Android applications on the desktop?

Too bad everything released for Android is shit.
      Almost all Android apps are proprietary adware-infested crashprone piece of shit that probably includes spyware.
      Maybe not the fault of Android per se, I guess its the same for iOS and Windows Phone.

Comment

Faster updates?

I hope this means faster update.

I got Android 2.3 and I am bored waiting long time for Android 4, I have to wait several months!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I can run Android applications on the desktop?
          Only if your desktop running Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Great, so I can run Android apps on Windows, but not on Linux.
            what the hell??

Comment

I was just watching the Jupiter Broadcasting video on XBMC yesterday that had the http://www.android-x86.org/ Ice Cream Sandwich running on a laptop. They didn't have any video decoding, 3D acceleration, or wireless working yet, but Android features on the desktop does look very interesting. I really hope Android features like Netflix and other useful apps make it to Linux.

Comment

Other parts needed

To run Android apps in a classic Linux environment, you need to support all their APIs. Some go down to the kernel (which now are supported), or to openGL, some go to libraries that work well in Linux (like Skia), but the problem Android libraries are those that lock hardware & cannot run side-by-side with Linux replacements like:
                - AudioFlinger vs Alsa/PulseAudio
                - SurfaceFlinger vs X11 / Wayland
                - Touch APIs vs X-input-multitouch
                - Camera API vs Video4Linux2
                - Others for remaining hardware: GPS & other antennas
                The green, C/C++, "library" layer of https://sites.google.com/site/io/ana...-of-an-android

For these, we need either
                - the Android lib to grow a backend to the Linux lib (Google's not really open to this), or
                - the Linux lib to grow an API compatible with the Android one (best, if possible), or
                - A translation shim between the two (think Wine), or
                - just using the Android lib, which is reasonable for when you never will run "classic Linux" apps that use the hardware, like possibly the GPS. The Android Tilt sensor lib technically would go here too if you don't have real tilt sensors.

Depending on where you're going, you may try running classic apps in Android. Many have been ported already.
                Last edited by snadrus; 04 April 2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Well, I vote for Android Wine, ATSWINE? Android TranSlation Is Not Emulator?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    So now I can run Android applications on the desktop?

Too bad everything released for Android is shit.
                    Almost all Android apps are proprietary adware-infested crashprone piece of shit that probably includes spyware.
                    Maybe not the fault of Android per se, I guess its the same for iOS and Windows Phone.
                    This...

Letters 'n shit yo.

Comment

Working...
                    X