No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Calls To "Kill All Proprietary Drivers For Good"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently pissed at AMD's desiscion to join the DRM-everywhere-for-MAFIAA because it's blocking FLOSS driver development. That doesn't mean that AMD's the only one doing it. If AMD would have been the only company doing it than I wouldn't even have considdered any AMD product. Just so that that's out of the way.

So why the hatred over what seems to be copy protection? Well let's rewind the clock to the 70's. Some man thought up what is now the iPod. He had this idea for a new business model for music distribution. In order to get the big record labels onboard, for it to become a success; he had to create a protection model that only allowed music to be shared if it's also deleated from the source. And illegal copying, instead of cut and pasteing, needed to be traceable. Tada... DRM.

Fast forward to the iPod release and Apple needed to get big music labels onboard. So in order to convince record labels to enter the digital distribution thing, Apple had to implement the DRM model, which was now feasable with large harddrives and the internet, in order to convince them Napster wasn't going to happen again.

Given the succes for Apple, Microsoft also wanted a share of the distribution and came up with Wmv, in order to get a share of the "make money napster style".

Then Apple wanted movie redistribution and Sony, also in the music industry, realy liked the way iTunes worked out for them. So Sony and others started working on DRM for MPEG4 and the media for it (BluRay). Also had facing the PlayStation mods, Sony wanted DRM everywhere and started requiring DRM everywhere.

Of course then also the Trusted Platform Module was needed, and Microsoft sure didn't want to miss the action, while Apple was into the action and AMD and Intel and everyone else sure didn't want to be left out of the action. (sounds familiar?)

So what happened was that every computer part, in order to be working with Vista and being able to be bought by Apple, had to be completely DRM-ified.

Conclusion:
    I'm pissed of that my entire computer is broken by design, from top to bottom, just because every hardware manufacturor decided to go out of their way to please the MPAA (hence ball licking club) and screw over their customers.

Comment

Working...
    X