Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeeGo-Successor Tizen Is Still Vaporware

Phoronix: MeeGo-Successor Tizen Is Still Vaporware

Following the September announcement of the Linux-based Tizen platform and that Intel will transition to it from MeeGo, along with other vendors making changes, there's been some controversy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Motherfuckers !

those MS-fornicating Nokia saboteurs and NIH-infected Intel slowpokes finally won, and those, who remained, gave in to webscript kiddies, burying the only major effort to introduce proper portable OS for portable devices.
    fuck 'em all into the ears of theirs shameless heads !

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      those MS-fornicating Nokia saboteurs and NIH-infected Intel slowpokes finally won, and those, who remained, gave in to webscript kiddies, burying the only major effort to introduce proper portable OS for portable devices.
      Well maybe the community should work on a free tablet and smartphone OS? Instead of being polemic, you should take action ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
        Well maybe the community should work on a free tablet and smartphone OS? Instead of being polemic, you should take action ...
        its not about the software (period) the software is more or less there

its also about the hardware and integration/experience which the community cannot do well.

the meego hartman is open i think but no one except nokia bothered making a phone with it and after that they abandoned it even after positive reviews

Comment

Remember how Linux started? Noone cared about linux support on their hardware. It was the community, which wrote most of the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
            I think MeeGo was a great initiative and we all won after that.
            The reason that MeeGo appeared it was to give a good experience, and it gave great tools for connection (the default Gnome's Network Manager is basically a port of Moblin. In a similar fashion, Clutter, the animation framework is part of Gnome 3.
            In part the driving of having a good experience on its Atom CPUs range, was a great idea and pushed some other desktop projects to take in account that. Is the good way to go?
            It was NIH? I'm not necessarily sure, as Intel improved and contributed upstream. Also, wanting to have a default out-of-the-box experience I think a lot should applaud Intel for. Moblin started to a time when some WiFi chipsets did not had good kernel support and the "Network connection wizard improvements" were just new features for regular user. In fact there were some high profile NIH in OSS, like Gtk+, WebKit, Apache Harmony, LLVM, XFCE, a lot of music players like Banshee. But are they really Not-Invented-Here? Depends whom you ask for: a hater as dfx or a person that would enjoy the extra speed that WebKit gives, the C API exposed to your toolkit, the Android phone platform (which is based on Harmony), compiler extensibility and more use cases (like Mono using a powerful JIT in LLVM), a fast Gtk+ desktop, not a bloated one (here about XFCE), or a combined media player collection, not just a music player (Banshee vs Rythmbox).
            At the end, I do think that anyone wins at the end, is all OSS, and people can take ideas or parts of implementation, make a fork and have something that eventually works.

Comment

Remember how Linux started? Noone cared about linux support on their hardware. It was the community, which wrote most of the drivers.
              uhu, and your point is ... ?
              maybe you trying to say that Linus himself also have built all his hardware on his personal factory ? no ?
              then you don't get it - "phones" are highly proprietary, customised, DRM'ed and NDA'ed pieces of hardware. you can't do a jack shit with them unless vendor allows you to. which no one does.
              and Nokia been sold out to MS? while dropping the project and its R&D entirely, and Intel couldn't do a damn thing, as usual, so it gone with Android for its shitty x86 "netbooks" and such (and it doesn't even have portables). so, there is no one.

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
              It was NIH? I'm not necessarily sure, as Intel improved and contributed upstream.
              i'm not attributing "NIH" part to MeeGo in that sense. it's more about their tendency to start something interesting anew but always dropping it and failing. "ok, it's sounds good, but cooperate and actually finish it, motherfuckers!" - i always want to say to them.
              it's all nice and cozy, and any OSS-work will not be a waste, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that Intel backed down and gone sucking Google's tasty tit.

and, please, go fuck yourself for labeling me names.

Comment

Moblin was (more or less) vaporware, Maemo was vaporware, Meego was (more or less) vaporware. Why would you expect any different from Tizen?

Comment

maemo was not vaporware

You can go out and buy finished products running it now.

Comment

Software is in a way cheaper to make and when linus started all the important pieces needed to make it possible were there. Hardware on the other hand needs money for prototypes test facilities/instruments etc etc.

We cannot make open HW unless someone see an opportunity and put money in it. Personally i believe that there is place in the market for a HW manufacturer that will base his products around open software (ie no system 76 oem crap). If the products are thoroughly designed (aesthetically and engineering wise) can even attract customers from other companies too.

Comment

Working...
                    X