ARM Cortex-A9 PandaBoard ES Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I explained in the article why I didn't do power tests...
    (As well as why you don't like the graphics situation)

It is possible to circumvent the issue with some laptops--at least on Thinkpads, you can set the BIOS to default to external display only.
    With some other laptops, you can switch the video to an external monitor. It still wouldn't be a perfect comparison, but it beats no numbers.

What would be a fair comparison are the various small x86 boards (mainly VIA and Intel, perhaps Intel/ION)--they'll be cheaper (newegg has $60-80 without ION, ~ $120+ for the ION boards) and roughly similar hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
      It is possible to circumvent the issue with some laptops--at least on Thinkpads, you can set the BIOS to default to external display only.
      With some other laptops, you can switch the video to an external monitor. It still wouldn't be a perfect comparison, but it beats no numbers.
      Exactly.

This was a great review, but it's of limited relevance without power consumption figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
        What would be a fair comparison are the various small x86 boards (mainly VIA and Intel, perhaps Intel/ION)--they'll be cheaper (newegg has $60-80 without ION, ~ $120+ for the ION boards) and roughly similar hardware.
        And when there's so many non-Premium AdBlock'ers, those systems come from where?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aragon View Post
          This was a great review, but it's of limited relevance without power consumption figures.
          I've been scouring the PandaBoard site and the FAQ suggests that this board spikes over 1.2A under heavy load, and their AC power supply suggestion is for 4A max current handling. These currents are at 5V.

So peak power consumption of around 10W would be my guess, FWIW.

Comment

And when there's so many non-Premium AdBlock'ers, those systems come from where?
            Do you honestly think that you would have much revenue from the people that use AdBlock if they didn't use it? Revenue comes from clicks, not views. The people that use AdBlock wouldn't click, so you would get no revenue from them regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
              Do you honestly think that you would have much revenue from the people that use AdBlock if they didn't use it? Revenue comes from clicks, not views. The people that use AdBlock wouldn't click, so you would get no revenue from them regardless.
              You're incorrect, Phoronix is paid on an impression basis.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

armel or armhf?

Comment

Something that should be noted (that I didn't see in the article) is that the OLPC XO 1.75 is running a soft-float ABI now, which will be replaced with a hard-float ABI hopefully soon. So, all the SciMark benchmarks are not representative of the hardware, since they're not performed using hardware floating point instructions.

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting arm boards with sata, pcie, and standard ddr3 slots
                    probably not things they care to target yet ...

usefull review, people ask for arm to be benchmarked often in forums around the web

Comment

Less beer, more work worth reading. You'd have more readers if you put more effort into rebuilding your reputation with the general public. Try linking one of your articles on any tech site with Linux users, it's often considered a laughing stock.

If your rep was better you'd have more readers and more readers is more clout when hitting up companies for review samples, more samples means more articles, more articles means more page views. Rinse and repeat.

I like many others have allergies, the most relevant here are to overzealous advertising and to bad journalism. I'll put up with one, but never both.

At least you've stopped trying to review PSUs, You have neither the hardware nor the knowledge to do that justice. Just wish allot of other sites would stop cluttering Google with PSU reviews that say little more then "well it has wires and it turns on..."

Comment

Working...
                      X