Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeeGo Community Investigates Tizen Alternatives

Phoronix: MeeGo Community Investigates Tizen Alternatives

Last month the Tizen project was announced with Intel and the Linux Foundation transitioning their support from MeeGo to Tizen. The LiMo Foundation and Samsung are also joining the new mobile open-source OS project. However, many in the MeeGo community remain less than enthusiastic about this new Linux OS that focuses upon HTML5 APIs for applications and abandoning the ways of MeeGo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fucking Intel again

it's official - most Intel devs and managers are crackheads doing stupid random shit for delirious laughs. there is nothing more stupid right now for GNU/Linux mobile situation than remaking good, almost free and open, OS into yet another browser launcher for slow-ass abstracted web apps. like fucking monkeys, they mindlessly repeat for Google instead of continuing to perfect unique collaborative solution with its own strengths.
    what, shit just got too tough for code crappers and their incompetence started to shine thought, so they began to whine about refocusing to "new and fashionable technologies" ?

Mer sounds like a plan though. let's hope they will shush Intel junkies with pissed rags.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      it's official - most Intel devs and managers are crackheads doing stupid random shit for delirious laughs. there is nothing more stupid right now for GNU/Linux mobile situation than remaking good, almost free and open, OS into yet another browser launcher for slow-ass abstracted web apps. like fucking monkeys, they mindlessly repeat for Google instead of continuing to perfect unique collaborative solution with its own strengths.
      what, shit just got too tough for code crappers and their incompetence started to shine thought, so they began to whine about refocusing to "new and fashionable technologies" ?

Mer sounds like a plan though. let's hope they will shush Intel junkies with pissed rags.
      Lets re-invent the wheel, yet again. Didn't Google try this with chromeos?
      Note to Intel: chromeos ***ALREADY EXISTS***, why don't you pull your heads out of your a$$e$ and use the crap that's already available rather than remaking the SAME BLOODY THING? Waste of resources, especially for something that will never become a successful platform.

Comment

I think they're copying Microsoft here, not Google. Although Microsoft probably got quite a few ides off Google themselves.

As for MeeGo, it's really sad to see a very perspective OS like that getting abandoned by pretty much everyone. It showed a lot of promise, but with fragmentation like that, the future looks bleak. Though a merge with openSUSE could be a way to go, given that they already have the Smeegol spin (on SUSEStudio, too).

Comment

Why Tizen?

Why does anyone need another web based OS? Webkit is already an important part of Android and iOS. Google already made Chromium/Chrome OS. If that wan't good enough Mozilla is using a very stripped down version of Android (I guess for device compatibility) to make a ChromeOS rival. It's called Boot To Gecko!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Though a merge with openSUSE could be a way to go, given that they already have the Smeegol spin (on SUSEStudio, too).
            better not. OpenSUSE is good and all but it's run by bunch of slowpokes. and that thing with Novell doesn't inspire optimism. and Smeegol, from what i heard, is like side project of one guy, simple automated build from their Build Service.

MeeGo guys just better off taking another name and simply continuing doing what they already been doing while driving out web-app masturbators.

Comment

This seriously pissed me off.

I bought a Nokia N900, I had always wanted one of their internet tablets, but couldn't afford one. But then when I was upgrading my cell phone, I saw the N900 and thought it was the most awesome piece of hardware that I'd seen in a long time. I had an Android phone for a month before it, and I hated Android, it cries out to be good, but just doesn't make it.

Maemo on the other hand is everything I wanted in a tiny device. Debian based, full Xorg, etc. But then Nokia decided to bend us over and not release Maemo 6 (well, they did.. but N9 isn't exactly available to the people who want it.) Then they doubly bent us over for dropping out of MeeGo, and now Intel does the same, after they had already said "yeah, we're supporting it, even if Nokia told us to eat shit."

Then they announced Tizen? A Web based piece of crap? Sure Maemo had a feature where you could save a bookmark as a icon, making it somehow a 'application of a web page!' A feature I've never used. I noticed Gnome 3.x has the same feature now, but again, what really is the point in that?

HTML5 is not the end all solution to everything, neither is 'cloud' computing. In this day and age not everyone has 100% uptime of all internet services. Tizen is for the most part still supposed to be a full Linux distribution, but they just want to concentrate on HTML5 applications... whatever for? Don't applications run slow enough on mobile hardware? Look at some of the memory footprints that browsers have, especially with flash and other things. They get huge.

At this stage, I just want a tablet that has source code for the hardware and I can put whatever Linux distribution on it I want. Would love a tablet with Arch Linux and Gnome 3.2.1. Gnome 3.x is even designed in part after Maemo 5, which as I said earlier I think is the greatest touch screen based operating system right now. I have a HP Touchsmart with Gnome 3.2.1 and it works quite nicely. Windows 7 on the same tabletPC is crap.

leech

Comment

N9

Originally posted by leech View Post
                But then Nokia decided to bend us over and not release Maemo 6 (well, they did.. but N9 isn't exactly available to the people who want it.)
                all true but isn't N9 just right now been publicly released ? and it's N950 they don't sell, those fuckers.
                i myself thinking about buying N9 + small bluetooth keyboard + USB ethernet adapter. but after making sure that community made USB Host working.

Comment

The N950 would be so awesome to have. The N9 would be too, but while it has been 'released' finally, there is no stock anywhere, and they aren't planning on distributing it at all in the USA, along with other countries that can actually afford a smart phone that expensive.

leech

Comment

Yeah, the n950 would have been a nice phone. Too bad the 250 dev units ran out in a day, not that I would've qualified anyway

While the 64gb n9 is out of stock, there seems plenty of the 16gb to go around.

Comment

Working...
                    X