Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Update On The Linux Power Situation In Ubuntu

Phoronix: An Update On The Linux Power Situation In Ubuntu

While I was away for three weeks, there was an update on LP bug #760131, the infamous bug report on the power consumption being raised significantly higher in Ubuntu Natty. This bug report of high importance now indicates a fix being committed to Natty and a fix being released for Oneiric, but what has changed? Here is an update.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

apart from the ASPM stuff are there other regressions related to power management in Linux???

Comment

Is that bug only related to Intel Hardware?

Comment

ASPM affects anything with pci-e.

Comment

Instructions?

How does one set pcie_aspm=force on linux? Which config file do I have to edit and/or commands I need to run?
            Help would be greatly appreciated.

GJ

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
              Is that bug only related to Intel Hardware?
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              ASPM affects anything with pci-e.
              And given that any modern AMD or Intel motherboard is going to have a pci-e slot, this affects pretty much every hardware configuration out there, right?

So every netbook, laptop, and desktop out there is hit by this bug?

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                And given that any modern AMD or Intel motherboard is going to have a pci-e slot, this affects pretty much every hardware configuration out there, right?

It depends more on the particular BIOS implementation. The standard is that ASPM capabilities are supposed to be declared in the various power management tables. However Windows interacts with the ASPM stuff by a different mechanism so there are a lot of BIOS's that don't bother implementing the standard. Linux works when the ASPM is declared via the standard method, but won't set the ASPM in the same manner that windows sets it (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post

No, this is a BIOS bug. So it depends on what motherboard you are using.

I don't think I've heard of any AMD motherboards having the problem, but that may just be because they aren't used by as many people.

Comment

Power Regression for Fedora? Ubuntu Vs Fedora for this Issue?

I wonder how Fedora is approaching this issue?
                    How do their stats compare?
                    Does anyone know?

Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X