• Show
Clear All

• Looking for a kickass open source tablet

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for kickass open source tablet with the following requirements:
    -Linux, or open source equavalent;
    -Not Android;
    -Full HD resolution or something that's not a pathetic 1024*768;
    -Something that has the screen size of an iPad (at least not some useless in-between iPad and smartphone size);
    -Not Shogo;
    -Must be able to develop on in more langauges than just Java (C and C++);
    -Costing below 501 dollars/euro's.

Does it even exist? Plug-on keyboard a bonus. nVidia is a no-go.
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 26 September 2011, 05:18 PM.

You could get a Fujitsu Stylistic or any of the other, pre-ipad-era tablets used for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      You could get a Fujitsu Stylistic or any of the other, pre-ipad-era tablets used for that price.
      I do want something that doesn't require a stylus and has a battery that lasts longer than 2 hours and doesn't take two minutes to get out of standby...

But maybe some respectable tablets will come out when Windows 8 ships, because then it all has to be able to accelerate a 'full' OS, if you know what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        But maybe some respectable tablets will come out when Windows 8 ships
        Doubtful. I expect to see all or nearly all to be locked in with MS's UEFI secure boot without any option of disabling it provided by the manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Doubtful. I expect to see all or nearly all to be locked in with MS's UEFI secure boot without any option of disabling it provided by the manufacturers.
          It doesn't nessecarily have to be a Windows 8 tablet; it could also be the ripple through the market that could sparc some more serious full desktop tablets with common x86-64 hardware and Linux ports to be getting upstream ARM Linux kernel support.

There has to be some tablet in there that doesn't get its ass locked. In the worst case scenario only a Linux shop would offer a lock-less UEFI BIOS. PS: Dell with Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
          X