Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Intel Stalling Or Dropping Its Support Of MeeGo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by balouba View Post
    intel is a large and good company. all their drivers are open sourced or almost.
    I don't see what would be wrong with Meego, except others seeing danger, as none of the other mobile OS will go the true open-source way, except for Meego.
    If intel ever release a chip that actually beats ARM *and* has Meego, they might win quite a bit of share, oh and they won't need no big appstore.
    Who cares if they release a chip that beats ARM? Meego, using Linux, will run on any CPU. Of course, making a better chip should still always be their goal as that is their primary business.

I'm also interested in Meego though as a Java-based Linux-software-incompatible desktop like Android is isn't my idea of fun. Now all we need is everyone to jump onto a single standardized versatile true solution package manager so it's even easier to run the same apps you do on your Linux desktop on your Linux phone as well. Pretty obvious durr idea for freedom and making Linux 1000 times awesomer.

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Only thing is that netbooks are out of fashion. I hope Meego will sharpen its foucs on Tablets.
    Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck. Laptops/netbooks have a screen you can prop up at any angle you want so you don't have to constantly be holding something upright while laying in bed for example, and they have a keyboard that you can type on while still seeing your entire screen. The latter issue can be somewhat resolved by smarter software, but the biggest problem IMO is the first.

The form factor just sucks for most tasks where you're relaxing or wanting to get real work done. Holding something up while trying to also do work on it is just a nightmare.

Quite simply, laptops/netbooks can be used as a desktop replacement if you want. Tablets can't and are more like a big phone form factor, and I don't need two phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck.
      I couldn't agree more. The only reason tablets sold so much is Apple. They have good software, good hardware, and more hype than Lady Gaga. HP had a windows based tablet before the iPad, they spent a lot on ads, NADA. Folks spend $500 on an iPad, just to spend extra $200 on other accessories that basically turn them into an ugly laptop. The touchscreen is nice, but that's about it. Give me an ultra thin lappie with a touchscreen and I am a happy camper.

The old PC is dying, not because of tablets, but because of mobile products in general. Talking of which, meego can be put in cars, printers, TV's, fridges, phones, you name it. It would be pretty dumb for intel to drop it. Or to hope that Google/Android/Motorola will cut them some slack. Right.

Comment

Another thing to realize is that Intel sucks at software. They cannot be trusted at all.

Intel makes massive amounts of software, but they always suck. As long as you are depending on Intel to do something it will never, ever, be competitive. It's not were their competency lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          Who cares if they release a chip that beats ARM? Meego, using Linux, will run on any CPU. Of course, making a better chip should still always be their goal as that is their primary business.

I'm also interested in Meego though as a Java-based Linux-software-incompatible desktop like Android is isn't my idea of fun. Now all we need is everyone to jump onto a single standardized versatile true solution package manager so it's even easier to run the same apps you do on your Linux desktop on your Linux phone as well. Pretty obvious durr idea for freedom and making Linux 1000 times awesomer.

Hopefully that's your honest opinion based on real wants and not just because Apple or industry hype told you so. Someone explain to me how a tablet is any more useful than a sophisticated piece of paper like they use it for on Star Trek. What does Picard have on his desk? A laptop (netbook). Why? Try typing with both hands on a tablet without getting a kink in your neck. Laptops/netbooks have a screen you can prop up at any angle you want so you don't have to constantly be holding something upright while laying in bed for example, and they have a keyboard that you can type on while still seeing your entire screen. The latter issue can be somewhat resolved by smarter software, but the biggest problem IMO is the first.

The form factor just sucks for most tasks where you're relaxing or wanting to get real work done. Holding something up while trying to also do work on it is just a nightmare.

Quite simply, laptops/netbooks can be used as a desktop replacement if you want. Tablets can't and are more like a big phone form factor, and I don't need two phones.

Sorry but you don't git it. You seem to think the tablet is a replacement for the laptop/netbook - its not. The real reason people buy tablets is that they find them very useful in places that laptops do not make sense. For instance I ride the train to work every day and can't help but envoy those people with a tablet reading a paper, magazine, or website in a very comfortable manner. My laptop goes with me to work, but its very awkward to pull it out wait a few minutes for it to power up, and try and navigate the trackpad on a bumpy train ride, then conform my body to read the screen. In another instances of usefulness beyond laptops I read where an auto insurance company gave 2000 of its claim agents these devices. They take them to where the car is, no mess no fuss fill out forms, get signatures, take pictures all from one device, with out the need of table. Of course there are more scenarios. A laptop may fit your needs, but that does not change the fact that the tablet is a great form factor for a lot of others.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I'm with Michael on this one (although the article was a little extreme...), there is no point in dropping a perfectly fine OS, especially when they already have around 5 MeeGo tablets shown off in several expos. And MeeGo definitely has future, because it's a free and open OS without the restrictions of Android (not even talking about WP7 here). Not to mention that so far it's the best x86 OS specifically made for tablet PCs (and Intel themselves are primarily manufacturers of x86 architecture computers). The fact that Nokia dropped it means that it could have slower progress, that's all. Plus, their last (and only?) MeeGo phone seems to be a huge success anyway.
            N9 is not a meego phone. It has maemo/harmattan(.deb) os, API compatible with meego(.rpm)(same QT version etc.).

Been waiting this:

But lenovo site says it has windows7 :C

Comment

agreed with u, micheal, cl33r. Now, if only intel launch the good damn tablets soon, with no-premium price.

And.. Native appl. will run faster than appl run on top of VM (read: android), no?
              Last edited by t.s.; 03 September 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Sorry but you don't git it. You seem to think the tablet is a replacement for the laptop/netbook - its not. The real reason people buy tablets is that they find them very useful in places that laptops do not make sense. For instance I ride the train to work every day and can't help but envoy those people with a tablet reading a paper, magazine, or website in a very comfortable manner.
                A good smartphone does that , AND fits in your pocket

Comment

Sorry but you don't git it. You seem to think the tablet is a replacement for the laptop/netbook - its not. The real reason people buy tablets is that they find them very useful in places that laptops do not make sense. For instance I ride the train to work every day and can't help but envoy those people with a tablet reading a paper, magazine, or website in a very comfortable manner. My laptop goes with me to work, but its very awkward to pull it out wait a few minutes for it to power up, and try and navigate the trackpad on a bumpy train ride, then conform my body to read the screen. In another instances of usefulness beyond laptops I read where an auto insurance company gave 2000 of its claim agents these devices. They take them to where the car is, no mess no fuss fill out forms, get signatures, take pictures all from one device, with out the need of table. Of course there are more scenarios. A laptop may fit your needs, but that does not change the fact that the tablet is a great form factor for a lot of others.
                  As I said, a replacement for paper maybe, and you're right that many people still hold newspapers, like when riding on a train is a good example of that, or like when Picard (sorry, Star Trek geek) is walking around looking at something, but:

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  A good smartphone does that , AND fits in your pocket
                  Right, in instances where you're mobile, a smart phone is more portable than a pad, and while you're stationary a laptop/desktop is best. There might be use sometimes for a pad between these mobile and stationary use cases, but I personally don't need it or care about it as I'd rather not lug around one extra (and large) device with me for some theoretical instance where I'm mobile but a smart phone won't cut it for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                  X