Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    They actually do have some useful kernel patches, for example the async initramfs loading one. Can speed up boot a second or so. Been shipping in 6-7 U releases, and no attempt at upstreaming at any point of course

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by pbryan View Post
    <sarcasm>
    Since Ubuntu is now consistently going off the reservation, perhaps they should consider developing their own kernel too, you know like Unity, only lower-level.
    </sarcasm>

I presume that since this is upstream and difficult to solve, that:

a) it's outside of the Ubuntu development community's expertise to solve without hairy workarounds, and
    b) it's affecting virtually every modern Linux distribution?

Didn't Michael have some experimental patches he was working on to solve this, or was it just the results of his profiling correlated against patchsets?
    LOL the patch was reverting the code that disabled the feature on devices who's bios declares it isn't supported

Leave a comment:

• pbryan
    replied
    This isn't Ubuntu-only, is it?

<sarcasm>
    Since Ubuntu is now consistently going off the reservation, perhaps they should consider developing their own kernel too, you know like Unity, only lower-level.
    </sarcasm>

I presume that since this is upstream and difficult to solve, that:

a) it's outside of the Ubuntu development community's expertise to solve without hairy workarounds, and
    b) it's affecting virtually every modern Linux distribution?

Didn't Michael have some experimental patches he was working on to solve this, or was it just the results of his profiling correlated against patchsets?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    HP screwed up the BIOS (InsydeH20 garbage) on my dv6-3210. Forcing ASPM used to work, and after a BIOS update, it doesn't. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to buy a laptop, I would've got something from a dedicated Linux vendor.
    woulda shoulda coulda

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    HP screwed up the BIOS (InsydeH20 garbage) on my dv6-3210. Forcing ASPM used to work, and after a BIOS update, it doesn't. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to buy a laptop, I would've got something from a dedicated Linux vendor.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    The real fix is for the manufactures to provide. I doubt however most of them will update their bios

I refuse to buy a Samsung laptop to this day due to a bios bug that only showed up when you used 4GB of RAM on a 64bit OS

The bios was only fixed when Windows 7 was released even though I told them about the bug 2 years prior :-(

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Equally people don't want their machines crashing - which was why the code was disabled in the first place for machines that don't declare they support it
    Double bad. No crashes = no battery. Screwed double.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, the last stand of the so called "Linux Desktop", which is on the laptop, is fleeting away. No one will want Linux on their laptops if it means 3 hours less battery time than Windows.
    Equally people don't want their machines crashing - which was why the code was disabled in the first place for machines that don't declare they support it

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Well, the last stand of the so called "Linux Desktop", which is on the laptop, is fleeting away. No one will want Linux on their laptops if it means 3 hours less battery time than Windows.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Yawn, no news here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X