Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Snapdragon MDP MSM8660

Phoronix: Qualcomm Snapdragon MDP MSM8660

Beyond the new data visualizations and other plans for Lillesand, Phoronix Test Suite 3.4 will contain much greater support for Google's Android operating system and there will also be greater compatibility with ARM tests using our automated testing framework. A horde of ARM-based testing is also just out on the horizon at Phoronix.com. This is all thanks to the cooperation of Qualcomm's Innovation Center; they recently sent over the Snapdragon MDP MSM8660 for doing this work and it is an interesting and powerful phone.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to start seeing some ARM tests!

Android however can die a horrible death; it's completely unreliable, buggy as hell, sucks battery, fragmented software market, zero usability testing whatsoever and all consumer/business consumer Android devices all have locked bootloaders.

I've 'downgraded' to Symbian and it's been a total plessure so far. I hope Meego/Maemo (or whatever) will find a good balance between an actual phone and the consumer "OMG Full HD!!!!111 one one eleven"-fancy pants effects phones.

Comment

There are quite a few gentoo stage 3 images you can use and chroot straight into

Comment

wow

that's a pretty featurful phone. only thing missing is a 3d screen, but that can wait. glasses-free 3d screen technology isn't quite a clean experience yet anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          There are quite a few gentoo stage 3 images you can use and chroot straight into
          Link for such images?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Link for such images?
            Nice to see you keep up to date with all the other non-Ubuntu distros

Which is found from the main gentoo website under the Get Gentoo link and then under arm stages

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Great to start seeing some ARM tests!

Android however can die a horrible death; it's completely unreliable, buggy as hell, sucks battery, fragmented software market, zero usability testing whatsoever and all consumer/business consumer Android devices all have locked bootloaders.
              Hold your horses. Does this look fragmented to you? http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

In case you can't read: that's 95.5% devices running Android 2.1+

FYI, my "completely unreliable, buggy as hell" OS currently has an uptime of 533h.

Comment

That thing has amazing specs for a smartphone form factor! I'm totally last-generation with my brand new HTC Thunderbolt. Man, mobile moves way too fast for me. When Verizon puts a phone into production based on that platform, I'm gonna have to upgrade. I am a hopeless whore for high-end specs in a tiny device.

Comment

22 days on an android device? Sure it may stay up long, but have fun trying to get 22 days battery life on one...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    22 days on an android device? Sure it may stay up long, but have fun trying to get 22 days battery life on one...
                    What's that got to do with anything?

Sure, I'd like my phone and laptop to require monthly charging, but since nobody has managed that feat yet, why bring it up?

Comment

Working...
                    X