Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Do If Still Seeing Poor Linux Battery Life

Phoronix: What To Do If Still Seeing Poor Linux Battery Life

Even after using the Linux 2.6.38 kernel power regression workaround for those systems affected by the ASPM (Active-State Power Management) bug that was detected by Phoronix, some Linux users still don't have their netbook/notebook battery lasting as long as they'd wish. For some, Microsoft Windows 7 is still performing better on the battery and/or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and earlier. As I've said, there's still at least a couple more Linux power regressions and other areas for optimization that I've discovered and still haven't yet publicly documented in full, some in part due to still analyzing what's happening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Toshiba Tecra

Running a Toshiba tecra, core i3 370m, intel hd, 4 gb ddr3, 13 inch... lose about 1.5 hours going from win 7 to 11.04

Comment

HP DV4 2080br
      Intel HD Graphics + ATI Radeon 4550

System Information

Hardware:
      Processor: Intel Core i5 M 430 @ 2.27GHz (4 Cores), Motherboard: HP 1409 v50.19, Chipset: Intel Core, Memory: 3584MB, Disk: 500GB Seagate ST9500420AS, Graphics: Intel Core IGP, Audio: IDT 92HD81B1X5

Software:
      OS: Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel: 2.6.39-020639rc7-generic (x86_64), Desktop: Unity 3.8.16, Display Server: X Server 1.10.1, Display Driver: intel 2.15.0, OpenGL: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2, Compiler: GCC 4.5.2, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1280x800

Comment

It here any way to do the same workload on Win and Lin?

My notebook last 1h (Asus N71) so i really have no way to decide how linux affects battery life. Any idea how can i use similar workload? and test power consumption and/or battery life?

Comment

Battery life low on Ubuntu 11.04

My system information:

Phoronix Test Suite v3.0.1
          System Information

Hardware:
          Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: Compal 30F8 v99.64, Chipset: Intel Mobile 4 MCH + ICH9M, Memory: 3072MB, Disk: 320GB TOSHIBA MK3252GS, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS 512MB (529/400MHz), Audio: IDT 92HD71B7X

Software:
          OS: Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel: 2.6.38-8-generic (i686), Desktop: GNOME 2.32.1, Display Server: X Server 1.10.1, Display Driver: NVIDIA 270.41.06, OpenGL: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 270.41.06, Compiler: GCC 4.5.2, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1280x800

Comment

Another article blatently pointing out that Michael is more about the money than the community! If you know something about the power regressions the good thing to do would be to release that info, this is how the Linux community has always worked best.
            The sooner you release your info the sooner things get fixed!

My laptop lasts an hour longer in 11.04 compared to Win7, so obviously these power regressions you speak of don't exist and you are just trying to sell more add space.
            Adblock plus well and truley engaged!

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
              Another article blatently pointing out that Michael is more about the money than the community! If you know something about the power regressions the good thing to do would be to release that info, this is how the Linux community has always worked best.

My laptop lasts an hour longer in 11.04 compared to Win7, so obviously these power regressions you speak of don't exist and you are just trying to sell more add space.
              What a troll! If you knew what you are talking about, you would know that these regressions are tied with buggy BIOS. Consider yourself lucky and shut the f*ck up!

Comment

Suuuuure, you've got one single reference point, and that means you are certainly right and know what are bugs or not.

Dude, seriously! You can't just run about and complain about this just because you aren't triggering a bug on your own computer. Not everyone is running the exact brand and model as you are. Ever heard about bugs that don't trigger on all platforms? Like maybe it's hardware dependent? You know, like a BIOS? Those things a kinda unique for each motherboard Instead of complaining, you should appreciate that someone is using their time to investigate these bugs.

Comment

One hour longer, sounds nice. What kind of hw?

Comment

I'm not trolling I was actually digging at Michaels lack of community spirit and the fact that his so called bug only actually seems to affect one of his machines! The bug affects a small minority of users if any. Just more reasons to try and pull people to his site to read the 'news'.

I understand buggy BIOS' as I do have one. My laptop wouldn't even boot every time powered until the most recent kernel due to an MSI bug that caused the kernel to hang (not even a panic) and my laptop is old (Toshiba L30 from 2006)!

All Laptop BIOS seem to be the worst, I've never had any issues with power management or the like from my desktop motherboards.

I think I get an hour extra because Win7 doesn't seem to do the power management properly even with all the latest drivers and so on loaded. To be honest I only use windows occasionally as it offers no advantages over Ubuntu so its never a big deal for me. I usually get 3 hours from my laptop if using Wifi and much longer if not.
                    This is in-line with my previous experience, mind you if Michael is not talking bollocks then I might even get more time from my battery!

Comment

Working...
                    X