No announcement yet.

What To Do If Still Seeing Poor Linux Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saying, my HP Pavilion dv6 went from 5 hours of battery life to barely 3 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Just saying, my HP Pavilion dv6 went from 5 hours of battery life to barely 3 hours...
      HP Pavilion dv6-3050eo (Core i5-450M + Radeon HD 5650)

Power usage is consistently 6-9 W higher on Linux than on Windows. The system is affected by the kernel commit Michael posted, but ASPM does not really work: half the devices have it disabled even with pcie_aspm=force and it seems to be disabled on Win 7 too. So ASPM is probably not the issue.

Very inexact values measured on AC when idle on desktop and battery full:
      17W Win 7 Intel
      28W Win 7 AMD
      25W Linux Intel (gpu-switcheroo)
      37W Linux AMD (gpu-switcheroo)

Linux 3.0-rc5 and all others I have used.

So I have examined both CPU and GPU clock speeds and ASPM but they don't seem to be causing the problem. What else could use so much power?

Note: I have not measured power drain when on battery

Comment

Use powertop (properly) and see how many wakeups from what apps you get.

If you are on the latest Ubuntu I found that UbuntuOne (which I don't use) was causing a huge number of wakeups so that needs to be disabled. But PowerTop will reveal all.
        Also enabling power saving modes for most hardware and laptop mode will reduce your power consumption.

Comment

short battery Ubuntu 11.04

After making changes to common line of / etc / default / grub and introduce pcie_aspm = force, as recommended, the line was in this situation:

I GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash pcie_aspm = force"
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX = "quiet"

After making these changes improved battery a bit but its spending in windos xp would be about 2 and a half in ubuntu does not come to a full hour

my notebook is: Processor: Intel Atom [email protected] (2 Cores), Motherboard: Acer Aspire One D150, Chipset: Intel Mobile 945GME MCH + ICH7-M, Memory: 2048MB, Disk: 160GB Hitachi HTS54321, Graphics: Intel Mobile 945GME IGP 256MB Audio: Realtek ALC272X

If this helps them I thank you, I am new to ubuntu, and not I know I could do more to help them find a solution to this porblema so serious, and I'm from Spain and their support and collaboration help me a lot
          thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
            My laptop lasts an hour longer in 11.04 compared to Win7, so obviously these power regressions you speak of don't exist and you are just trying to sell more add space.
            Adblock plus well and truley engaged!
            OK dude, let me tell you this: I have a brand new Thinkpad T420 with a fancy Sandy Bridge CPU and what not. It is affected by the PCIE ASPM issue Michael discovered a week or so back. Idle power consumption (WiFi connected, screen on medium brightness) went down by 25% to an average of 7-8W. That gives me a fantastic eleven to twelve hours of use. Sice I want to keep my battery for a while, I don't charge beyond 85% (ThinkPads have that option) and avoid discharging below 30%. Thanks to Michael's discovery, I rarely get below 40%, meaning he probably bought me a nice expansion of battery lifetime. I'm happy to generate some ad revenue for that. So how about you just consider yourself lucky and keep your mouth shut?

But I do have to say that all these Bavaria references kinda get annoying over time.

Comment

But I do have to say that all these Bavaria references kinda get annoying over time.
              Annoying? Every time i read such a reference i barely can hold my stomach content ;-)

Comment

I'm the owner of a new dell E6420 laptop (sandybridge cpu) and tested the pcie_aspm=force boot option impact.

Results are here: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...MAXR-E6420PO59

Without this option i have the following lines in dmesg:
                Code:
                [    0.780418] ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
                [    3.430392] Unable to assume _OSC PCIe control. Disabling ASPM
                The first test doesn't seem to be valid (i may have touched the touchpad, don't know why it's so different from the other results). At first i thought i was impacted by the bug but repeating each test 3 times did not showed significant differences.

Phoronix Test Suite v3.0.1
                System Information

Hardware:
                Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M @ 2.50GHz (4 Cores), Motherboard: Dell 0K0DNP, Chipset: Intel 2nd Generation Core Family, Memory: 7680MB, Disk: 250GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BEVT-7, Graphics: Intel 2nd Generation Core Family IGP 256MB, Audio: IDT 92HD90BXX

Software:
                OS: Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel: 2.6.39-3-generic (x86_64), Desktop: Unity 3.8.16, Display Server: X Server 1.10.1, Display Driver: intel 2.14.0, OpenGL: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2, Compiler: GCC 4.5.2, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1600x900

PS: is there a way to remove, rename and reorganize benchmarks on openbenchmarking.org ?

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
                  Use powertop (properly) and see how many wakeups from what apps you get.
                  Thanks, powertop is very useful. My kernel was missing CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. Also this helped a bit:

Code:
                  Suggestion: Enable SATA ALPM link power management via:
                    echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy
                  Unfortunately Linux still uses 15% - 20% more power than Win 7.

Linux AMD: 34W
                  Wakeups-from-idle per second: 6.3 interval: 30.0s

Comment

Still having issues despite grub.conf fix

MSI Wind U100
                    Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
                    Intel 945GME

Comment

Hardware:
                      Code:
                      Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.10GHz (2 Cores), Motherboard: Dell 0D176M, Chipset: Intel Mobile 4 MCH + ICH9M, Memory: 3584MB, Disk: 320GB Seagate ST9320320AS + 160GB Hitachi HTS64161, Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 IGP 256MV, Audio: IDT 92HD73C1X5
                      Software:
                      Code:
                      OS: Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel: 2.6.38-8-generic (x86_64), Desktop: KDE 4.6.4, Display Server: X Server 1.10.1, Display Driver: intel 2.14.0, Compiler: GCC 4.5.2, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution:1366x768
                      and also

Code:
                      OS: Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel: 3.0.0-rc5-customdell1555 (x86_64), Desktop: KDE 4.6.4, Display Server: X Server 1.10.1, Display Driver: intel 2.14.0, Compiler: GCC 4.5.2, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution:1366x768

Comment

Working...
                      X