• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    This thread is derailing.
    indeed it is.

But what i dont like about such news is that
    - half of the "news" is about previouse anouncements on phoronix
    - the news is about "hey soon there will be a news worth reading" but this one is only a teaser with no information at all.
    - u can't distinguish between external and phoronix links.

i wish u could change this behaviour michael.

thanks.

Comment

As one of the 200 subscribers (and I'm on my second year of subscription here), I'm not really fond of this grandstanding, but I do appreciate what Michael does overall. A few observations I feel I should make after reading the thread:

The Good
      • Michael is doing something that no one else seems willing to do -- track down a very wasteful regression.
      • He's doing this without expecting to be showered in money or thanks.
      • He already contacted a kernel core developer informing them of his findings and his proposed fix. So the patch may find its way into mainline in a timely fashion, even if users aren't able to immediately grab and apply the patch today.
      • He's spent a lot of time on this. Hope he gets at least a reputation boost with the kernel developer community for figuring it out.
      • Contrary to what some say, Michael does contribute back to the free software he depends on, with significant hours of software engineering. PTS is free software.

The Bad
      • We'll have to wait a few more days to get even a preliminary patch to fix this.
      • It's a very real possibility that the issue will go unresolved in Linux 3.0 final.
      • It's possible that an approach of full and immediate disclosure could make a difference in the ability to get this fixed in Linux 3.0, or even previous releases.

The Ugly
      • Regardless of how many people subscribe or how much money Michael makes, this alone wouldn't convince him to stop trying to "maximize revenue". It's human nature to do what's to one's best advantage. Do rulers ever relinquish their emergency powers voluntarily after a war? No. Does Microsoft ever lower their prices because they've all made more than enough money to get by in life? No. They always want more, more, more, more, more.
      • Embargoing information for financial or political reasons is against the spirit of the free software community. The only time we've ever accepted withholding information is with security-sensitive issues, where disclosing the full exploit could result in unpatched systems being compromised by those looking to find and use exploits maliciously.
      • The more content-free articles appear on Phoronix, the less people will be interested in reading them. Even from a purely financial perspective, you eventually wind up shooting yourself in the foot by posting articles that are just "teasers". By diluting the value of the individual article, you increase the chance that people will just skim the articles or ignore them entirely.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

lol sorry for the spam... i am new to the forums and didnt know it takes some time for the post to show up.(well for some reason it showed up after 2+hours).

Comment

Thanks for the effort, Michael. I really don't care if you are trying to maximise renuvue, I am just glad someone is seriously looking into this.

Comment

Trolling is fine to a certain degree, but trolling Germans with Nazi Germany is extremely unfair and extreme tasteless. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Then we have a guy who quit his job to start a Linux news/review site who works extra to get shit fixed in the Linux kernel and then some bitch about him trying to keep revenue comming while I'm sure this site isn't exactly a goldmine or something. If you would have paid money, OK. But this is bad.

Great job Michael.

Comment

As much as I am not a big fan of sensationalism, Micheal did a really good job with this investigation (although it wouldn't have hurt if the workaround was briefly disclosed in the first publication).

While I stopped subscribing because of issues with login in ( it is more pain than benefit ), I will resubscribe to award this achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  As much as I am not a big fan of sensationalism, Micheal did a really good job with this investigation (although it wouldn't have hurt if the workaround was briefly disclosed in the first publication).

While I stopped subscribing because of issues with login in ( it is more pain than benefit ), I will resubscribe to award this achievement.
                  Do like me. Subscribe for peace of your mind, and activate AdBlockPlus.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Do like me. Subscribe for peace of your mind, and activate AdBlockPlus.
                    Why is there no "Phoronix member" under your name?

Comment

Working...
                    X