Burning Through Power: Linux Regressions Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    My problem is that Michael blames others for the lack of revenue. Dude, if you can't get any money, it might just be your own fault, you know. If others aren't interested about your news, maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe you even overestimated the importance and general impact of your work. If you aren't as successful as you wanted to be, try to become more respectable, reputable and reliable instead of crying "buhuu, no one pays me".

Sensationalist titles and keeping your readers in the dark in order to maximize add revenue will certainly not add to your respectability nor reputation. And in return, that means even less revenue. Phoronix has dug its own hole and then jumped right in. Worse, instead of climbing out of it, it digs even deeper.
    "lack of revenue" != maximizing revenue
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My problem is that Michael blames others for the lack of revenue. Dude, if you can't get any money, it might just be your own fault, you know. If others aren't interested about your news, maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe you even overestimated the importance and general impact of your work. If you aren't as successful as you wanted to be, try to become more respectable, reputable and reliable instead of crying "buhuu, no one pays me".
      well, linux is about free choice, even with the news portals.

Comment

Wow what an asshat

My problem is that Michael blames others for the lack of revenue.
        What a bizarre distortion.

Where do you have any standing to criticize? Do you have anything to offer in rebuttal?

This is just whining and complaining for its own sake, nothing is accomplished besides alienation and hostility.

I have NO difficulty with what is going on here. It is only fair to withhold specific information until it can be independently verified. The point here is not to cast blame or aspersions, but rather to solve problems. There are people and personalities and egos involved, tact and care are required to avoid conflict. However you seem to be just inflaming conflict for its own sake because you need something to get excited about. Chill out and let things take their proper course.

Comment

You might want to investigate LWN.net, where you're not allowed to read articles for a week unless you paid for a subscription. The trick is to find out why people are willing to do that with LWN but not with Phoronix. Hint: sensationalism does not fly very well when your readers are mostly hackers and power users.

Comment

Huh?

You might want to investigate LWN.net.
            You might want to realize that that's a totally different web site with a totally different focus and a totally different way of doing things.

You could have said "You might want to investigate nytimes.com" and that would have been about as relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
              Where do you have any standing to criticize? Do you have anything to offer in rebuttal?
              My opinion as a reader.

This is just whining and complaining for its own sake, nothing is accomplished besides alienation and hostility.

I have NO difficulty with what is going on here. It is only fair to withhold specific information until it can be independently verified. The point here is not to cast blame or aspersions
              Blame was placed in the article itself ("no one helps me, no one pays me, so there, I won't publish until tomorrow.") IMO, this is one of the reasons why no one pays and no one helps. I'm just expressing it. I should, however, do that in a more friendly tone; you're right about that. I was flaming for no good reason.

Comment

Blame is in the eye of the beholder

Blame was placed in the article itself ("no one helps me, no one pays me, so there, I won't publish until tomorrow.")
                You can't tell the difference between a statement of fact and "blame". You're assuming the "victim position" and calling him out because you feel deprived of something. Otherwise why would you criticize?

It isn't necessary or even proper to interpret his words in this manner. Again you are just inflaming things to boost your ego.

Comment

Support..

The Linux community needs sites such as Phoronix, that's my opinion and I stand by it. The thought has crossed my mind from time to time and now I'm 100% sure, I will get Phoronix Premium to give my support (and get rid of commercials of course) - I encourage you to do the same if you haven't yet.

Keep up the good work Michael

Best regards
                  /Tomas

Comment

I admire what michael has done (if it is real), it wasn't his job but he has nuts and motivation!

Although I totally agree with RealNC. This is a news site point. When I buy a newspaper I read structured news with content, when I read tom's hardware I see good hardware articles. But when I read phoronix, I find a lot of news of the type: Next week something awesome could happen on catalyst driver, someone has contacted me and told me blah blah, I found something, and neext week I will post my results... definitely, this is not profesional
                    Last edited by Jimbo; 26 June 2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      I admire what michael have done (if it is real), it wasn't his job but he has nuts and motivation!

But I totally agree with RealNC. This is a news site point. When I buy a newspaper I read structured news with content, when I read tom's hardware I see goods hardware articles. But when I read phoronix, I find a lot of news of the type: Next week something awesome could happen on catalyst driver, someone has contacted me and told me blah blah, I found something, and neext week I will post my results... definetivelly, this is not profesional
                      If you are not satisfied with Phoronix you are always free to create your own site or stop visiting Phoronix. I find it quite interesting to when Phoronix takes on subjects like new version of softare A and talks about upcoming amazing features. Phoronix ain't a newspaper or just a plain news site. It contains news, articles and reviews.

Comment

Working...
                      X