No announcement yet.

Burning Through Power: Linux Regressions Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you really prefer he simply kept silent until every t was crossed and i dotted?

Comment

oh dear... some people seem to hate you michael... i wonder why, everyone needs to earn money for a living. That in mind everyone should be GLAD! that anyone is doing it. And be glad, that you dont have to click banners to view the site at all. i think hes doing a good job, and that crosslinks to headlines on former articles are a VERY nice thing for newbies who like to track a certain case and track it back or to gain access to any matter on the site. It helped me a lot when i was a linux newbie (yet i still am) and did know nothing about certain activities of past months.
      There are some things that i sometimes complain about, but i try to be constructive not saying someone should stop doing something.
      that the most common problem on shared stuff. Everyone CAN, few DO. And michael does as well as he can. THX for that michael. Its a lot in my eyes. (keys for x axes would be still nice though and an explanation what points in graphs mean. )

Comment

I don't hate anybody, I like phoronix in general, I only was trying to make constructive criticism. I don't like reading "unfinished" news, that's my point.
        Last edited by Jimbo; 26 June 2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

P.S. can anyone not running Ubuntu on Linux 2.6.38+ that thinks they're affected by the power regression paste their dmesg output?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
            I don't hate anybody, I like phoronix in general, I only was trying to make constructive criticism. I don't like reading "unfinished" news, that's my point.
            I have the impression that more than maximising ad revenue, we get these "unfinished power reg news" because Michael is just too damn excited to keep quiet about it.

Besides, delaying saturday's findings til monday seems ok and appropriate to me. Especially if the wait time is also used to make some more tests and contact experts.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              we get these "unfinished power reg news" because Michael is just too damn excited to keep quiet about it.
              Not exactly, there's better things in the world to get excited about than power regression brief updates... Frequent status updates are more because I still need to keep a fresh set of items on Phoronix so I must keep producing content while working on tests that take extended periods of time... and due to limited staff (basically PTS and I), that means I must keep writing.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                You might want to investigate LWN.net, where you're not allowed to read articles for a week unless you paid for a subscription. The trick is to find out why people are willing to do that with LWN but not with Phoronix. Hint: sensationalism does not fly very well when your readers are mostly hackers and power users.
                I think this is a really excellent point.

It would be very interesting to see some subscriber and revenue numbers from LWN and Phoronix. I doubt we'll ever see that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  so I must keep producing content while working on tests that take extended periods of time... and due to limited staff (basically PTS and I), that means I must keep writing.
                  Are you sure this is the correct thing to do? Maybe writing a more detailed article every 2-3 days is an option too? Complementing that with software (changelogs) news like wine new version or gnome new version...

I would love to see a more technical article about btrfs or kernel new features for example, or an interview with a developer.

Comment

Additionally, hell yes, to maximize traffic and ad revenues off of this work due to the amount of time and resources I've spent tracking down these Linux kernel power bugs and other problems on top of my already maxed workload; no organization has yet stepped up to sponsor this continued work or any PTS-powered continuous integration on the kernel.
                    Just for you I clicked the Autodesk and Microsoft Dynamics ads since they are most Linux-friendly ones I saw.

Comment

Impressive work!

Comment

Working...
                      X