No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Power Issues Continues To Bite Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, desktop Linux is relatively neglected (in terms of testing, bug reporting, time, and focus).

My guess is that it's probably an issue that affects desktop configurations. If it affected servers or ARM (due to clients using Linux for those applications), there's no way the kernel could have been released.

Developers probably haven't even noticed the issue yet, as most aren't visibly affected by increased power consumption on high-powered desktops and workstations.

I wonder... has there been discussion on the kernel devs' mailing list about this or are they waving it aside as being another case of phoronix hyping something for "ad revenue"?

Comment

With a little bit of googling I found on this website an answer to your search for an interfaceable power meter: the Watts up? PRO. It has a RS-232 interface so it should be easy to work with, the API documentation can be found here.

Good luck with metering!

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
        I wonder... has there been discussion on the kernel devs' mailing list about this or are they waving it aside as being another case of phoronix hyping something for "ad revenue"?
        As far as I see there's no such discussion. I don't know why Michael didn't send a message to lkml. If they don't know about this how they are supposed to fix it?

Comment

its great that phoronix is doing this regression hunting work.

but. presumably Michael has managed to narrow down the range of commits in which this occurs (that is how bisecting works). if this had been posted to lkml as soon as possible then a large number of people could have got involved in hunting for the problem. and maybe it would have been fixed by now.

Comment

USB AC/UPS switching

I've been working with several brands of COM/USB operated power supplies for lab purposes. From my experience lab grade equipment is great but an overkill for the purpose and quite expensive > 100$ for sure.

A DIY solution is to get an Arduino, connect it to a relay and control the AC input to a standard UPS. There are many online guides on the net how to get this done. For example:
            Connecting a 12V Relay to Arduino: To connect a 12V relay to the Arduino you need the following things: - 1 Arduino - 1 diode for example 1N4007 - 1 NPN transistor for example 2N2222 (in the US) or BC548 (in Europe) - 1 relay for example one with coil voltage 12V and switching vo…

I used a 5V low power relay to control a coffee machine:
            Arduino’s making coffee, not bad. I built a small prototype circuit that keeps time and has an alarm mechanism. When the alarm goes off, the relay is kicked for 2 seconds. The user can set th…

* You'd want a heavy duty 16A relay like:

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
              Unfortunately, desktop Linux is relatively neglected (in terms of testing, bug reporting, time, and focus).

My guess is that it's probably an issue that affects desktop configurations. If it affected servers or ARM (due to clients using Linux for those applications), there's no way the kernel could have been released.
              clearly you have no idea about how Linux kernel development works and should stop talking as if you do.

Dave

Comment

USB Power meter

Originally posted by thofke View Post
                With a little bit of googling I found on this website an answer to your search for an interfaceable power meter: the Watts up? PRO. It has a RS-232 interface so it should be easy to work with, the API documentation can be found here.

Good luck with metering!
                Michael, with all of this EKOPath stuff going on right now, do not forget to check this out!

Comment

Originally posted by thofke View Post
                  Michael, with all of this EKOPath stuff going on right now, do not forget to check this out!
                  I'm looking for USB. I don't even like to think about RS-232 not to mention that the systems i want to connect it to don't have such interfaces anymore (yes I know there are some adapters as well).
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I'm looking for USB. I don't even like to think about RS-232 not to mention that the systems i want to connect it to don't have such interfaces anymore (yes I know there are some adapters as well).
                    Did you even check it out? It has an USB connector, I only meant with RS-232 that you should probably interface with it via telnet or something. My guess is that it has a RS-232 to USB adapter integrated. Better than some proprietary protocol just for Windows, right?
                    Last edited by thofke; 13 June 2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

About your power-measurement thingy:
                      As I noted in the other thread (not sure wether you read it), here's how I would do it:

Originally posted by jannis View Post
                      With ThinkPads and the "tp_smapi" kernel module you can discharge the battery even with AC connected by writing a "1" to "/sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/force_discharge" (switching back to AC can be done by writing a 0 or automatically when the battery is empty). So your laptop won't power off when you got the AC adapter inserted and the discharging forced.
                      When the AC is connected but the discharging forced, you can read the system power usage from "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep rate".

This way you could at least automate the "charge/build new kernel/wait until battery has reached >50%/reboot - switch to battery - measure - switch to AC" cycle with accurate (and easy!) measuring.

More info (with hardware compatibility matrix) is here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
                      I remember you mentioning a T60 at some time so I think it would work for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X