The Linux Kernel Power Issues Continues To Bite Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible donation of network power meter device

I work for a company which does energy monitoring, and it is possible to interrogate the power meter using a simple API. I have asked if there's scope for loaning or donation a unit to you. I can't promise anything will come about, but I feel it's the least I can do as I enjoy reading phoronix.

best wishes
    Paul

Comment

monitoring power usage option

not sure what the availability is for these in your area, but cyberpower makes some rather nice UPS units that can feed usage back to the pc via serial or USB cable.

I picked up a 1500 watt unit for about $140, their FAQ lists linux support as well as some utilities.

Might make it possible for you to automate the usage testing..

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
        clearly you have no idea about how Linux kernel development works and should stop talking as if you do.

Dave
        Well, I think I am entitled to hold an opinion about how development works based on comments from devs, including Ted Tso and Con Kolivas. Essentially, devs run such exotic configurations that they don't even think about common end-user usage scenarios such as a hard reset, power usage, or scheduler issues.

Oh, btw Dave, how's it like to get slammed by Linus every merge cycle about drm related crap?

If you don't want the development community to have this stigma, why not convince them to take up some of these issues? If the report earlier is correct, why has no kernel dev even mentioned this issue in the mailing list? Are they too far removed from review sites such as Phoronix and Tomshardware (both of which pointed out this power issue)? Do they think it's all hype and unsubstantiable by "hard numbers"?
        Last edited by crumja; 14 June 2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thofke View Post
          Did you even check it out? It has an USB connector, I only meant with RS-232 that you should probably interface with it via telnet or something. My guess is that it has a RS-232 to USB adapter integrated. Better than some proprietary protocol just for Windows, right?
          Hey, Michael, I'm glad that I was able to convince you in looking at this device (the WattsUp Pro), and I'm glad that you looked even further than me and found linux support on some forum! Thanks for taking my suggestion serious and for all the work you are doing right now for mobile linux users!

Comment

Working...
          X