No announcement yet.

Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu Power Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'll stick to xfce when using battery, because as awesome as Kwin is, it's not worth the loss of precious battery time. Thanks for these tests, Michael.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks.

So KDE is not only a memory hog (as shown by previous benchmarks), but it will also drain your battery like crazy. LOL, this is getting funnier by the day

IMHO any KDE based distro should have an obligatory warning message as part of its installer:

Hazardous to the Environment

Comment

To be fair, KDE also had the highest FPS on Nvidia blobs

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Thanks for the benchmarks.

So KDE is not only a memory hog (as shown by previous benchmarks), but it will also drain your battery like crazy. LOL, this is getting funnier by the day
          In KDE when you have compositions enabled you can play games with normal frame rate. Unlike gnome's hell. KDE uses caching, so it's resource efficient. Gnome shell 'uses' memory leak, so it's a real memory hog.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I guess I'll stick to xfce when using battery, because as awesome as Kwin is, it's not worth the loss of precious battery time. Thanks for these tests, Michael.
            Better check KDE with some other distro or... check if Nepomuk was disabled when Michael was doing the tests.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              To be fair, KDE also had the highest FPS on Nvidia blobs
              Really?

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
                Much higher than mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Much higher than mutter.
                  Only when uncomposited, at least with OpenGL backend.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Better check KDE with some other distro or... check if Nepomuk was disabled when Michael was doing the tests.
                    In KDE 4.6, Nepomuk is pretty easy on the CPU (not even enough to throttle it). I don't think it would make that much difference, especially after the initial indexing.

Comment

LXDE is not lightest

I suggest you look into FLWM, Awesome, Fluxbox or OpenBox to name a few. Openbox is used as the WM for LXDE. You can use just openbox ON ITS OWN. This will immediately mate it lighter. "The LXDE desktop is generally said to be the fastest and lightest desktop environment" is is a complete lie. I suggest you research before making such bold statements.

Comment

Working...
                      X